What is, and Why Must There be a Drip Loop?

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_biggrin.gif The following images, all of which are used by NACHI, are very clear and they show the reason for the drip loop in the service entrance conductors.

Let's not us go astray!

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Russell Frame

Good post Joe.

Can you explain the logic behind your response to my post, about how the drip loop must be on the service entrance conductors, beyond the service drop crimp.

I seriously believe in the intent behind the law, if you contend that is the law.

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Drip loops, pretty self explanatory. icon_smile.gif

The drip loop simply provides a place for any water collecting on the conductors a place to drip off instead of following the conductors down to the terminals of the equipment connected to them.

The NEC put the drip loop requirement in the Service Conductor Section simply because those are the wires that the NEC has control of.

The NEC could not tell us to put drip loops in the utility wires as those are under the utility control.

That said as long as there is a drip loop below the weather head or cable sheath the function of the drip loop is guaranteed and the intent of the NEC has been meet.

IMO an inspector who fails the service in the above picture simply because the "U" bend is in the utility conductor and not in the service conductor is someone who has forgotten the intent of the rule.

I will also point out that in this area I leave the service conductors hanging out at the service point, then the electrical inspector looks at the job, approves it and tells the power company to make the connection.

It is the power company that forms the drip loop most times, not the electrician.

Maybe I am missing something here, I could change my mind if someone would explain why it makes a difference which side of the splice the drip loop is on.

Bob

Quote:
Let's not us go astray!

I go where I choose.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Russell Frame wrote:
Good post Joe.

Can you explain the logic behind your response to my post, about how the drip loop must be on the service entrance conductors, beyond the service drop crimp.

I seriously believe in the intent behind the law, if you contend that is the law.

Russell:

I have made my point! ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)

I suggest that you ask the utility company for their specifications and research them, because they will probably have the same information found in other utility company specs.

I have seen where the rain water has also found its way through the interstices (voids between stranded wires) into the equipment below where it slowly damaged and rusted the interior of the meter and main and distribution board after time.

The utility company probably had longer wires that you left them, and cut them shorter putting the pieces off on the ends to put into their "uncle box" later to be sold for cash and money for a holiday party.

I would like to see the specifications in your area, please tell me the name of the utility company, and I will search the web for them.

No permits or inspections!

I would give anything to be able to inspect your work!

--

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo

Water flows both ways though… so if water is going to get inside the splice and into the strands of the wire, it’s not going to matter which side of the splice the loop is on… because there is always one side of the splice above the loop.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Water flows both ways though... so if water is going to get inside the splice and into the strands of the wire, it's not going to matter which side of the splice the loop is on... because there is always one side of the splice above the loop.

Are you a Home Inspector or Electrician or Inspector?

"THE DRIP LOOP IS REQUIRED TO BE IN THE SERVICE ENTRANCE CONDUCTORS"

--

jtedesco wrote:

I would like to see the specifications in your area, please tell me the name of the utility company, and I will search the web for them.

Joe, the Power Co here is Alliant Energy. I just found their 'manual' page and am looking it over now.

Quote:
![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) I would give anything to be able to inspect your work!

Deal! In fact, I'll only charge you $500 for the opportunity.

Russell Frame wrote:
jtedesco wrote:

Joe, the Power Co here is Alliant Energy. I just found their 'manual' page and am looking it over now.

Quote:
![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) I would give anything to be able to inspect your work!

Deal! In fact, I'll only charge you $500 for the opportunity.

Russell:

I was able to access the requirements, and although I don't know what State you are in, I found that their specifications clearly show the drip loop in the customer's SEC's.

I expect to see a followup image to settle this issue, and an apology!

http://www.alliantenergy.com/stellent/groups/public/documents/pub/uf_blaze_000477.hcsp#TopOfPage

--

Originally Posted By: jmcginnis

Bob,

The only problem I would have with depending on the power company to make the drip loops is that fact that then the quality of my finished job would have to rely on someone other than myself. If the power company fails to make the drip loops then it is my installation that suffers and my reputation if there is a problem as a result. Beyond that, here in my part of Pennsylvania, the power company won’t connect unless the electrician has provided the drip loops.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

This is on page 5 chapter 5 of the book on overhead services and it shows the crimps at the bottom of the drip loop. That actually makes sense if you are worried about water entering the conductor.

jtedesco wrote:

I expect to see a followup image to settle this issue, and an apology! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

OK OK, you win. I'll climb up there tonight and pop those crimps off so I can reform the loops. I think if I get a screwdriver jammed in there and start smacking it with a hammer I can do it...dont you think?

I think the real answer was given, the utility is responsible for the loops and the location of the splices. All the electrician does is give the 24-36" of free conductor at the service head (as referenced in the book Joe linked)

What the utility does is really out of our control and beyond the reach of our inspection authority.

BTW I just looked at my service. FPL has their splice at the lowest point of the loop. I gave them lots of free conductor, they cut it off. They said with our wind problems they like tight service drops and no big loopies.

Originally Posted By: bbadger

jmcginnis wrote:
Bob,
The only problem I would have with depending on the power company to make the drip loops is that fact that then the quality of my finished job would have to rely on someone other than myself.

Every area works differently but in my area I do not have the option of connecting the service to the utility wires, sometimes yes we do it temporarily and the power company will come later and do it over.

I have never said that is a bad idea to do it the way Joe T. insists is the only way. My only point is that it does not make a bit of difference, both ways meet the intent of the rule.

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN