What is proper sistering method on this damaged truss cord?

My first time on the site; forgive any naivety. How should a sister be applied to this bottom cord?
Fink truss, made of 2x4s. Bottom cord has two small areas of fire damage, one is 12.5" from top plate, one is 29" from plate. About 1" of the width of the cord (Long dimension) is damaged. I’ve heard sister must extend 3-4’ beyond damage, but that’s not possible on the plate side…can we make it long enough to set on top of plate and good enough? What is recommended number of fasteners. i’ve heard carriage bolts every 15-16". Have heard 16d nails, but aren’t 3.5"deck screws better; how many per foot? Liquid nails or equivalent? Recommendations? Thank you for any info.

That would be the decision of a Structural Engineer.

7 Likes

Thanks, yes, I’ve been told this by city. What is the most economical way to find and hire an engineer? Do they need to inspect it in person to deliver an opinion?

With the fire damage, I don’t think any engineer is going to put their stamp on a repair without visiting the site.

6 Likes

Beat me to it!

Where are you located?

Northfield MN

What makes you think it needs repair? Is it failing? First it needs evaluation to determine if the repair is necessary and then a cure to be prescribed as needed. The degree of fire damage will make a difference.

1 Like

You can give these guys a call, they are licensed in MN and may be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

Cole Engineering Solutions - Cincinnati (colengineering.com)

Google works too.

1 Like

Looks like someone already attempted to make improper ‘fixes’!

All damaged trusses REQUIRE a Truss Engineers / Structural Engineers repair design and Certification of repairs.

5 Likes

As noted above, trusses must be evaluated by P.E., The local building department will want letter and/or details from P.E. to allow any repairs.

1 Like

Actually, the upper repair on the roof deck was covering a previous chimney. The boxy framing between trusses (Lower circle) was to support a heater that hung from the trusses. Not related to the fire.

City inspector came by and told me I need a Structural Engineer… I personally think a sturdy 2x4 sistered in properly would be more than, but I gotta jump hoops. Northfield is picky.

2 Likes

THanks to you all for the help. I appreciate the comments. I think I’ve found a local firm that’ll do the look-see.

1 Like

You’re likely right. But they will have a fancy drawing with a nailing pattern etc. Best of luck!

Thanks again. Hey, it’s my first time on this forum. Do I need do anything further to make this thread visible or in some other way legit? Don’t want to be disrespectful.

You could become a NACHI member. That would give you all access.

Would not have been approved for that truss design and construction!

Kevin said it.

1 Like

Answering this post is stupid.