Past Fire Damage in Home

Originally Posted By: troberts1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/h/hart072805_035.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/h/hart072805_051.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/h/hart072805_056.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/h/hart072805_052.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/h/hart072805_053.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Ted,

looks like a good quality repair, I would comment to the effect that previous repairs were carried out do to fire/smoke damage, maybe with the rider that the buyer should check for permitting history with the city/county.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Areas of the roof framing have been scorched or charred. We recommend that you ask the sellers about this condition. If the charred/scorched framing has not been evaluated by a licensed engineer it should be.

Or somethin like that.

Thank you for the fast responses.

This is what I am planning to say in the report.

There is evidence that this structure has had an extensive fire in the past. If this fact has not been disclosed to you, than you may want to seek further documentation on this matter before the close of escrow. You may want to check with the local code enforcement office for proper permits and a certificate of occupancy, that would have been required at reconstruction of the residence. You may also want to have it checked by a contractor that specializes in fire restoration.

What do you think?

Engineered Truss ]

I like it Ted, but I would mention something about truss’s are engineered and only an engineered fix of turss’s is acceptable.

good point brian but the code inforcement office would have required that?

Probably, and your comment about fire restoration contractor was good.

here is my revised responce.

There is evidence that this structure has had an extensive fire in the past. If this fact has not been disclosed to you, than you may want to seek further documentation on this matter before the close of escrow. You may want to check with the local code enforcement office for proper permits and a certificate of occupancy, that would have been required at reconstruction of the residence. You may also want to have it checked by a contractor that specializes in fire restoration. Trusses are engineered, and can only be altered or repair with the aproval of an engineer and you may want to seek this documentation as well.

WOW. You mind if I borrow that?

Yes You may!

It was constructed with the help of you and other great members. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Quality repair??? Three truss members cut in at least three trusses. Angle braces or not, that really weakens the triangle effect. Four of the triangles are GONE from each truss.

Trusses have been altered.

Trusses are engineered systems. The components of each individual truss-- webs, connectors, gusset plates, straps, clips, and fasteners -- and all trusses in a roof are designed to perform together as a system. Field alterations to the truss system should be reviewed and documented by a structural engineer. In most instances, unapproved field alterations to a truss system voids the truss manufacturer's warranty for the entire truss system.

I recommend that you ask the sellers to show you any documentation that the alterations were done to a structural engineer's specifications.

If you can't confirm, in writing, that the trusses were correctly modified in accordance with an engineer's specifications, I recommend that you have a qualified structural engineer review the trusses, then develop and implement a written plan for repairs.
=============

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Erby,

when you're right your right, I missed the repaired truss, it looked to me like the damaged ones had been replaced. me bad ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: psisler

Ted,

How is it going. I agree with Erby on this. Trusses are designed for a specific purpose. The CAN be repaired but must be signed off by a county engineer in most states for structural integrity. The batts that are used to connect all of the members are there for a reason.

I have inspected and repaired quite a few of these that have occurred do to fire/hurricane etc damage. If the structure is not adequate then there will be noticeable sagging on the roof and the truss structure itself which promotes further problems.

One item that I see from time to time is the repair using stick roof (hip) type repairs along with engineered trusses ( a no-no) cover your behind and recommend the SE. Take care talk to you soon.

Patrick

Gerry I don’t think you missed anything. I believe Erby was commenting on the picture I posted to make a point about being careful evaluating trusses repair. Maybe he did not read the whole thread.

Maybe he did

Erby Crofutt

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Well all righty then

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Brain

The picture you posted looks like 4 trusses were cut out. That picture is very scary! I would have written a strongly worded report using the phrase "potential for catastrophic failure."

--
Curtis

. It had been this way for eight or so years before I got to it. He declined and sold the house. The State Certified Home Inspector that came behind me said it looked ok to him and told his clients that it was ok.

I have a statement at the beginning of my roof section about the importance of engineered trusses. I also asked my client at the inspection (diesel mechanic) if where he worked you just could start cutting and modifying buss frames. He said "Oh no you would have to get and engineer for that", at this point I told him " Well it is the same for trusses, they are engineered systems and only a professional engineer familiar with trusses could approve any system changes, modifications or repairs".

Hey, Doc,

Sounds like you did what you could. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, and you are not allowed to shove it up his ....

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com