What is this thing connected to the sump pit

Thank you for the reply, Jered.

I am not trying to be mean.
It is upon us, as home inspectors, to clearly define the reporting parameters of what we inspected.

A: You could glean the listing for information. B: Reach out to the agents for information. But to state unequivocally that this a sump basin and pump up could land you and your business in real legal jeopardy.
Try to find out if the residence was on a septic system and get back to the members. Looking forward to you post.
Regards.
Robert.

Educate yourself instead of doubling down at giving incorrect information.
How to Unseal and Reseal Your Ground Water Sump Pit - YouTube

Sure, Jeff.

It would most certainly be sealed if the home has an active radon system Robert

1 Like

Thank you, John. To be perfectly honest, I think I have come across a handful of radon systems in my lifetime and seen twice as many on other buildings.

Here’s what I find hard to get my head around. Sealed fasten or closes securely. This phrase is not the same as, Tight Fitting.
I realize systems change and codes amend. It’s the natural order of things. Modernization.
Personally speaking, I have been in basements for decades. Installed and repaired sump pit as well drain pipes. Never once observed a 'factory sealed, a factory gasket, mechanically fastened sump pit lid. Not saying they don’t exist for certain situations. The OP’s situation might be the case.

I open every lid I can. Operate electric and water supplied pump/s.
We are talking a basin of water that can; A: flood a home causing irreputable damage. B: Add a significant amount of relative humidity into the atmosphere daily. C: Allow ground water to saturate and rise in the surrounding soil that can possibly affect the foundation adversely. 1: Hydrostatic pressure. D: Is an access point for radon or other harmful gasses.

Thanks again.
Robert

Thanks for the images, Jeff.
The check valve leads me to believe it is a ‘mechanical sump with backup pump and alarm’ but I would not note that in my report until I had disclosure from the vender.

I would note however there has been what looks to be repair or retrofit to the basin’s lid seal, if it came with one. That would lead me to believe the basin leaked or was an attempt to retrofit a gasket. Again I would request disclosure from the vender.

Again. Thanks for the additional images.
Sorry if my posts appeared to be aggressive.
Regards.
Robert

Here’s where the radon pipe was located, if this answers anything for you.

The wye and black connector hose in your original post is likely for additional drainage connections that could be needed in the future. Considering the home has radon mitigation, it is customary to seal any openings to earth as can be reasonably done. The sump pit is one that can be easily done. The black tube connecting the 2 inlets effectively seals them.

2 Likes

Best reply I’ve received so far! Thanks for the info.