What is this?

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/0/01roof.jpg ]

I have an educated guess on this thing, but it was raining hard at the inspection and Client was concerned about the wind-driven rain getting in those little louvers there. I explained to him what I thought it was based on the layout of the house and where the downstairs bathroom exhaust fan was venting, which appears to be here. I think the solid piece in the middle protects the vent termination, and the louvers on the side are far enough away so that the exhaust fan can vent. There is a small space between this covering and the concrete shingles underneath so that any rain goes through the louvers, hits the shingles, and simply flows down the roof. The deisgn underneath is such that the vent termination is slightly raised above the shingles themselves so that any wind-driven rain can't get above the lip of the vent termination.

That's my guess.

If anyone has a diagram of the underworkings of this, that would be pretty neat.

Thanks.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: dspencer

What did the connection in the attic look like? I have been roofing for 15 years and have never seen a roof vent like the one pictured, looks like trouble.

Originally Posted By: jbrown4

Russel

This is a O'Hagin brand cloaked roof vent. They are very popular here in the Phoenix metro area. The specifics of them as well as installation instructions can be found at: http://ohaginvent.com/ The problems we find with this type of roof vent generally comes from incorrect installation.

Joe Brown
Corner Point Home Inspections

dspencer wrote:
What did the connection in the attic look like? I have been roofing for 15 years and have never seen a roof vent like the one pictured, looks like trouble.

There was no access to the second-floor subflooring, which is where the downstairs bathroom flue would be. This vent was in the general area of the downstairs bathroom which is why I think it was the bathroom exhaust vent.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Joe. That’s what I was hoping someone could point me to. Very useful. Thanks, again. My client shall be happier.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: tallen

I live and work out in the same area and I have never seen one of these vents. Thanks for the info. icon_biggrin.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

Wow, good one!!

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: five.five

never thought a vent could terminate like that, btw, shouldn’t the vent terminate a certain height from the roofline?

Is this vent considered a power vent, since it would have an exhaust fan at least 50cfm ?

If so, the only thing I know of is 3 ft clearance from the property line or building, but nothing about a vertical clearance from roofline.

Anyone ?