What is this?

Does anyone have any idea what the function of this orange bar is? The only thing I can come up with is that the truss or trusses bowed inward. Then someone used a jack to push the trusses back out and installed it to keep them apart?? That doesn’t explain the heavy guage looped wire.

DSCF0629.JPG

I think it is left by the roofer I expect it was his saftey strap attachment .
Roy Cooke sr. Royshomeinspection.com

I concur.

I think maybe it was Judge Roy Bean’s attic. (Law West of the Pecos):slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Is it, or would it not be conceiveable that it is an elaborate truss anchor for lifting truss packages that were built on the ground and then lifted into place??

Most tie down anchors for safety lines are at the peak and through bolted to solid blocking with a 3/4" diameter eye bolt that will withstand 5000# of force for life safety.

Since we do not see the whold picture, it is hard to tell.
Typically, the permanent lateral bracing and the truss spreaders as seen in the photo all act as a tie in of the package for lifting purposes. Lifting points are always being improvised as well as methods.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi to all,

I tend to concour with Marcel, I doubt it is a roofers safety line point.

I have seen these installed for 2 uses firstly as Marcel says as a lifting point for truss roofs assembled on the ground and also as a winching point for mechanical equipment being installed in the attic (was this directly over the attic hatch by any chance?)

Regards

Gerry

Fwiw, I have never seen a steel lift strap used to lift engineered trusses onto roof. I have always seen nylon lift straps used.

I think you are looking at the picture incorrectly .
I do believe that is the peak and you can see the ridge vent at the top.
No one would try and lift with wood screws holding the bracket it would be with wrap around cable or straps or through bolts.
I still stay with my original thoughts fastening for safety harness.
Roy Cooke Sr
Royshomeinspection.com

</IMG></IMG></IMG>

It was near the attic access and there was a hot water heater and a gas furnace up there. I doubt the trusses were built on-site. This is a cookie cutter production home. I agree that it was either for lifting or roofer’s harness. Either way doesn’t seem too safe given the wood screws!

Used to attach a pulley system to raise the h2o heater and furnace in to the attic?

I actually saw one just like it used by roofers as a tie off this week.

Well, Roy Cook is right again.

I revued the picture again, and I’ll be darn the angle of the picture threw me off.
Roy must have been in his recliner at the time he was looking at the Pic. ha. ha.

This does seem like a tie off, and the sling attatchment must have been taken out through the ridge vent slot in the peak. In no way is this an approved tie off, if that is in fact what it was. Looking more closely, I saw the two deck screws penatrating the truss. This those not meet the 5000# loading attachment requirement. Eyebolts are most commenly used because they meet the OSHA requirement, and either left or removed when the ridge cap is installed.

Raymond, you are correct in saying that nylons slings are commonly used for erecting truss packages. That is what I use. Commonly eight trusses at a time and choked around a truss member and the permanent lateral bracing which helps pick up the other trusses.
A module of eight allows you to install lateral bracing in 16’ lengths and scabbed later with a two length truss splice.

All goes to show you that you can stare at a small picture all day and it does not tell the whole picture.

Thanks Roy for that good pick up on that window. You can send your recliner back now. ha. ha.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

The nails holding the device to the truss aren’t the only thing keeping it in place–the roof deck also would serve to secure the weight of anyone who fell. Would it support 5000 lbs? Who knows without testing it.

The safety device of sort is usually there also to install the sheathing. So up to that point, you are at the mercy of screw attachment.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I still think its a kinky device or exercise gizmo. Just kidding I agree with Roy I usually see them flopping on the outside on new homes.

I’ve seen a number of truss roofs built on the ground then craned into place. Nylon straps usually go around a strongback which has been tacked just under the truss peaks so that the weight/stress is distributed over more of the roof as it’s lifted. The longer the strongback the better. I’d can’t imagine succesfully raising a roof with that attachment alone.
It could be a lanyard attachment for roofers. It would work for that.

Since it was near an access hole and there was a furnace and water heater up there it was for lifting them up there, I’m thinking. In these days of big-time insurance claims employers don’t want to risk paying for employee injuries. Cheaper to supply them with lifting equipment.

It would be safe to assume at this point the the final deduction, and analyisis can finally be made by the one that took the picture in the first place.
The Panoramic view of circumstances of the beholder and all the speculated opinions of us combined, I am sure he can come to a conclusive conclusion.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: