What kind of vent is this? It is oddly shaped and made of metal

First time I post here, hope I did this right.

This is clearly some sort of vent, now retired, but what kind? Anyone seen one like this before? Such an unusual shape.

This vent was located on top of a 3 storey 8-Plex row-house building in Montréal, built in 1947.

I just added a fourth picture to give a better perspective.

4 Likes

Welcome Jenn!! Great first post and love the rooftop selfie. Sure some will be here shortly to help out.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Jennifer, Enjoy!!

2 Likes

Thanks Tom

2 Likes

Thanks Scott

2 Likes

That is a unique one. Any idea what it was connected to before it was retired?

1 Like

Looks similar to A type ventilator. It’s supposed to create a natural draft.

3 Likes

The building used to have an oil tank (as per an environmental assessment) and chimney. It currently has a natural gas powered boiler to heat the building.

1 Like

This company calls them a H vent

5 Likes

Oops I deleted the post. I wrote: Ok thanks, this looks more like it! But these ducts are vertical whereas mine are horizontal. They look like binoculars haha

This was one of the fittings that was part of the level 1 curriculum sheet metal class that I went through and then taught for 5 years. I’ve seen a couple hundred of them made, but the first ever in use. Even finding one on a Google search was difficult.

I’m not sure why that one was installed horizontal. They are made to create a natural or up draft.

3 Likes

Wow, that is so cool! Thank you so much for this info @jspencer . Very intriguing! What type of system would this normally have been used for?

1 Like

A vent for the oil tank? The horizontal pipe limits water from rain?

1 Like