What? Overcrowded Conduit or Tubing (Raceway)!

Originally Posted By: Randy Flockton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The photo above is from a state owned facility (A snack bar literally “on” the beach, in CA) & is one of the many signs of amateur persons performing electrical work.

The wiring method here is FMC or “flex”, the above conduits (?") had approx 12-15 #12 THHN stranded current carrying conductors inside… (for those seeking a code reference see 348.22 NEC)

Excessive current carrying conductors in a raceway reduce the ability for efficient heat dissipation.

An example of a violation of 300.4(f) was right above where this panel was, at a smaller subpanel... The conductors entering here are #2THHN... Yeah, I know, the breakers are double lugged also ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

This raceway also from the same place should have no problem dissipating heat.... Most of it is in rust particles on the ground! (speaking of ground, this "was" the ground for the above switch)

This outlet had some heat dissipation problems... (fed a commercial freezer)

-Randy

--
"Prices subject to change with customers additude"

Originally Posted By: psabados

Interesting icon_eek.gif

State controlled facility, State employee performing installations and repairs? Thought one had to be a licensed electrician in Ca. to perform electrical installs and repairs. I'm surprised that the place hasn't burned down yet. Hopefully no one has been injured yet?

Just curious, how did you get the photo's or access to this place

Paul

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I don’t know about California but in Florida the state is exempt from the law requiring licensed electricians (or any other trade). A state employee who is deemed “qualified” can perform virtually any work and there is no real rule about “qualified”. When I was a state electrical inspector I saw lots of park rangers who thought they were electricians, working in public access areas.

To make it worse, they are covered by the “soverign immunity” law which makes it almost impossible to sue.

Originally Posted By: dbozek

Just a bit of info…you can run more than 9 current carrying conductors in a conduit if you derate the wire…(increase the size of it).

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

dbozek wrote:
Just a bit of info......you can run more than 9 current carrying conductors in a conduit if you derate the wire....(increase the size of it).

Ampacity adjustment starts at 4 wires, the number 9 works in many instances for 14, 12, and 10 AWG it does not work for larger conductors. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

The reason the downward adjustment does not effect 14, 12, & 10 right away is the fact that we already use them 'derated'

We use 14, 12 & 10 AWG at 15, 20 & 30 amps.

They are actually rated 25, 30 & 40 amps @ 90 C which is generally the temperature ampacity adjustments are done from.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum