What size binoculars to use?

What size binos do you use? My hunting 8x42 seem to powerful. Thanks

I use a set of waterproof 10x42 birding binoculars. I also have a monopod camera stand to hold them steady when needed.

12x50 Leupolds

Never had a need for any.

Rain and a moss or a frost covered roof make these a must.

Spectroscope work fantastic and looks professional plus you can supply close up pictures of issues and provide overall pictures of the roof from high above.

8x42 Nikon Aculon. A required inspection tool in NJ.

I respectfully disagree. :wink:

I have owned several binoculars of different magnification over the years.I have used 8X, 10X, 7X, and again another 8X (in that order). The last two (7X42 Nikon, and 8X42 Bushnell) I still have. I prefer the 7X Nikon over all the others. The 10X was too powerful for most applications, and unless you have real steady hands it maybe difficult for most. A 7X or 8X I find to be the overall best choices.

Respectfully, I wouldn’t hire you to inspect anything if you haven’t by now realized the need for binoculars during a home inspection.

90% of homes I inspect are single story homes. Please explain why binoculars would be needed on a single story home?

A 30ft camera pole with an HD camera gets me an up close view of any two story homes I can’t walk.

We don’t have many of the big colonial homes like you would have in South Carolina. We do have millions of single story ranch and bungalow style homes here. So, why would I need binoculars?

I’m not afraid of heights.

Can your camera on a stick really see the entire roof?

Besides the roof and its flashing, I use binoculars on almost all inspections for the eaves/fascia/soffits and gutters. Looking for brick veneer cracks. Looking for missing caulk on windows. Looking at chimneys, etc., etc., etc.

P. S. And what about the 10% of your homes that are 2 story? How do you inspect the upper areas of all sides of that home with a camera on a stick?

Yes, and yes. Unlike Binoculars that only look up, I can get the camera above the roof line and look down. I get a birds eye view of the roof, and all the close ups I want, including under eaves and around corners. And the camera is water proof, so rain is non-issue.

HD stands for High definition. The resolution is crazy detailed.

Plus I then have a photo of the damage to put in the report.
Binoculars don’t give detailed photos.

It’s one thing to say there is a cracked tile 30 ft up. It’s another to have a close up photo of said crack. :slight_smile:

I also uses a 30 ft. pole and camera (1080p), but i never leave my binoculars. When I decide to acquire my drone, that will also accompany me to all inspections along with the camera, pole, and binoculars.

Let me suggest that if you can afford it. GET IMAGE STABILIZED ONES.

I bought them many years ago for my Dad as a git when I could afford such luxuries and they are INSANE. I use them a bunch when doing Stucco Consultations for Builders.

You will don’t believe the difference until you try them… You can always return them if you do not think they are as great as I do. Mine must be pushing 20 years old or at min 15 by now and they ar e STILL AMAZING.

Mine are Nikon I do not know the power off hand and my foot hurts to much to go find them and look now
. When batteries are dead they work as normal binoculars BUT when you press that button WOW Simply awesome. I CANNOT RECOMMEND THEM ENOUGH. ANY TYPE WTH IMAGE STABILIZATION will do.

They do sell binoculars with camera but I don’t know how good they are:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=binoculars+with+camera&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7AVNF_enCA660&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=zL26WcD_IsTT8AfimbGYBg&gws_rd=ssl

Think that’s too powerful?

I use 18×50 image stabilization binoculars.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/binoculars/image-stabilizer-binoculars

Worth every penny for IS. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT SEND IT BACK but I swear they are THE ONLY WAY TO GO.

I used a spotting scope on a tripod worked great for me .
I did not hold it and there was no shake .
Similar below .

999999-50234523240[1].jpg

It would be a less expensive solution but having used both for hunting nothing beats the maneuverability of the binoculars with IS. If you can afford them there is NO CONTEST. In my humble opinion :smiley: