What type attic insulation is this?

This stuff looks like popcorn shipping foam, small little pellets of Styrofoam type material, I have never seen this before (house built in 1940) Anybody ever seen this before in the attic ?IMG_1596

IMG_1606

Looks like PERLITE.

3 Likes

They still using that Scott?

Expanded perlite, not the crushed stuff.

1 Like

And OP’s picture here;

3 Likes

Expanded Perlite.

2 Likes

tastes like chicken,

5 Likes

Don’t know, Sir Roy,

The “other” white insulation, but I have to agree with @mcyr

You can read up on it here;
https://www.perlite.org/insulation/#:~:text=Perlite%20insulation%20is%20an%20inorganic,pizza%20ovens%20and%20rocket%20stoves.

about 2.7 per inch

Perlite , including perlite building Insulation is a non-fibrous non-asbestos-containing material which has an R - value of about 2.7 per inch and would not be expected to contain asbestos.

5 Likes

We used to dump that stuff into block walls that didn’t have grouted cells for insulation. It’s super light and mimics styrofoam beads. If the wind was blowing it made a mess. LOL.
I think you are on point again Marcel. :+1:

5 Likes

What, you didn’t believe it when I said it?

BLAH BLAH BLAH.
I didn’t think we had to write a novel on every post they should be smart enough to look it up themselves. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s downright funny, if you’ve been reading here for any length of time.

Ok Dominic, :+1: GREAT JOB!!! Cudos to you too. :wink: :wink: No offense but Marcel just kinda one uped you with a link that’s all.

Well a CMI made the OP

My comment was tongue-in- cheek, but apparently it ruffled some readers feathers…so clearly I was off the mark.

Come on, Dom! :smiley:

Good point!