What would requirements be???

Mudroom recently attached to, 1970’s house relocated to this spot 2 years ago.

The mudroom has just been “completed”, it is built on posts and open air below. Anyway, there is no lite inside the room, no outlets and no heat. If this is considered non-living space, are outlets required?

Thanks,

IMG_05791.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

From my codey code standpoint, no, no electric is required.

This is not a:
*“In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed…”

Again, no light is required either:
“At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.”

*There might be a building code issue though. I am not sure what the NH building code says.

I say “yes” based on the fact that, although the room is not habitable, it is a part of the “dwelling unit”. Receptacle outlets shall be provided for all wall space within the dwelling unit except individual isolated sections “that are less than 2 feet in width”. Heat and light have no bearing on this.

In order to vacuum this area, or to provide temporary light or heat, the lack of a receptacle outlet is going to necessitate the use of the extension cord, which the code does its best to minimize.

Thanks for the info., as of August last year, NH is going by the 2006 ICC.

I think I will insert a best building practices comment here.

Thanks,

Speedy Petey,

Question, if a switch activated outlet is required (if I understand your second comment correctly), then, at least one outlet would be required?

Thanks,

Code’s may contradict, but I would say no. This is just a mud room… In this situation, it’s a glorified, deck with a covering and walls.

Within a dwelling unit, it is not the habitable space but the “wall space” that dictates the need for receptacle outlets. Even the fixed section of a sliding glass door assembly counts as wall space in configuring the need for an outlet.

In NYS, the “conditioned” or “unconditioned” has bearing here. Being an unconditioned space, it most likely would not need a receptacle. Treating this very similar as a porch would be treated.

Being part of the means of egress, it would most likely need a light though. Switching of this light can be from the inside of the dwelling.

No, my comment was that a light would not be required since this is not a habitable room.

Correction…a light would not be required by the NEC. There are other codes that would dictate the need for light, heat and ventilation.

Good point I didn’t consider. You are certainly correct. Although the light would be required to be outside. Technically the light could be anywhere, not just on the mudroom.

Not true James.
The spaces I quoted above (and below) are the spaces required by code to have receptacles. This “porch” is not one of them.

Of course there are other parts of the code that dictate areas that are required to have receptacles such as most garages, bathrooms, most basements, etc., but there is no section regarding porches.

*“In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed…”

Again, this is just my “code” stance.*

I take a different “code” stance.

One of the intents of the spacing of receptacle outlets in a dwelling unit is to reduce the use of extension cords. This is an area within a dwelling unit with walls greater than two feet in width. There are no other considerations that would bar the use or placement of a receptacle in this area while there are provisions to require it.

By the code, it requires receptacle outlets.

This is not an interpretation that requires an extensive work history or knowledge of the fundamentals of electricity…but simply a willingness to support the code’s intent to provide adequate access to receptacle outlets throughout the dwelling unit, as prescribed.

All “codes” aside.

I would just let the client know that the “room” contains no outlets or lighting and leave it at that. It’s his deal not mine.

Sure are a lot of people that don’t do code quoting Code.:wink:

i agree with the last two. why is everyone so interested in inspecting to code, when that is not the job of the home inspector. sure, it is good to know some of those things for guidance, but I wouldn’t report that something is or isn’t a code violation, unless I was trained to do so. just a comment. I would report that there is no light or outlet and be done with it.

I do agree that this is a good example though of whether an outlet is necessary though.

I’ve come to appreciate that “code”…as a basic minimum standard…can be widely interpretted.

The code books, themselves, say so. They leave it to the discretion of every AHJ tasked with enforcing it to interpret it in the manner that is necessary to preserve the intent…within their jurisdiction.

The code books tell the designers and the technicians that…even when an AHJ says it is “okay”…they can still be held liable. This is why they have a duty to appeal “bad” interpretations since, even if they comply, it is still their necks on the line.

Likewise, with us.

The intent of the provision is what is important to us…just as it is to the AHJ. If a lack of available receptacles can cause our client to overuse extension cords and risk their safety…regardless of what one or two “experts” might say…our duty is to call it out.

That is what the code books say to do.

James, you are doing what many AHJs do. You are imposing your opinion as fact. Sorry, but you are incorrect that this area REQUIRES a receptacle.

You can suggest it, or say it is a good idea, which I have NO problem with, but that was NOT the original question.
In fact, your profession is more stating opinion than anything else. This ideology is repeated time and time again: you guys don’t do code.

The original question was is a receptacle required. NO, it is NOT.
I also repeat, I make this statement strictly from a code standpoint.
You find me a code that says it is required and I’ll read it.

I am curious as to what “code book” you found this in.

Michael, quite the opposite. Most of you HIs are saying code is not the issue. I am not an HI.
I am merely make code references for clarification and factual purposes.

At a minuim it is a hallway. It requires switched controled lighting outlet inside.

Also, there should be a switch for a light outside.

tom