What's fair?

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a huge (and quite common) misconception. Code does not apply to existing dwellings. I invite you (Mrs. Lewis) to visit our Electrical section. There are some very code savvy, highly qualified Electricians that argue over electrical code interpretations.

Way, way beyond the scope of a home inspection.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hello Mrs. Lewis,

I am sorry that you are not having a positive experience.

I would like to give you my perspective on the list you have.

1. If that is the case why did you pay him?
2. Yes,I would expect an inspector to tell the difference between a 14 year old roof and a one year old roof.
3. Please refer to our SOP 2.10-II-R The inspector is not required to inspect appliances.
4. See #3
5. See #3
6. See#3
7. An inspector is permitted to go beyond the SOP.
9 We are not required to turn on or off breakers. If the water heater was not on then it would not be tested.
10. Checking the temperature of the water is way beyond the scope of an inspection. If you have had inspectors do this in the past it was their choice not a requirement.
11. I can not imagine any inspector not running water in the kitchen sink. Maybe you were not in that area when he did it.
12. In my area we check the temperature difference between the return and output air.
13. See #3
14. See #3
15. We are not code inspectors. Please check your pre-inspection agreement for clarification.
16. Please refer to your pre-inspection agreement. It should address what environmental conditions are included.
17. Beyond the scope of a typical inspection.
18. Are you sure?
19. Are you sure?
20. Please refer to the SOP 2.10-I-A
21. That is a personnel business decision.
22. Again a personnel business decision.

Did you sign a pre-inspection agreement?

When did you pay for the inspection?

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Having inspected in Maryland and Virginia for many years before moving to paradise I find the buyers comments interesting.

If the story is exactly as told by the buyer I would say that a poor inspection was performed and wonder why she paid for it.

Since I know Dan and work with him at the NACHI foundation, I am not calling the buyer a liar in any way, but I would be very surprised if the story is true. I have not seen him do anything half baked, and in seeing his comments on how a home inspection should be performed, I wouldn't think he would perform that kind of a poor inspection.

I would say to the buyer, wait for and read the report. The report should state in detail what was inspected, how it was inspected and what deficiencies were found. As you can see, many inspectors don't check appliances. This is true of inspectors from any of the major associations. My inspector (he didn't know I was an inspector) didn't do anything with the HVAC system except put his hand in front of the vents to feel for warm and cool air. He checked the dishwasher, disposal and range, but not the refrigerator or built in microwave. He checked for hot water by feeling for it at the faucet, which by the way is the way most of us do it.

Personally, I try to check everything in the home. I check all appliances including the washer and dryer if they convey with the purchase. We all do things a little differently, even with state or county licenses. Your pre-inspection agreement should spell out exactly what the inspector will and won't do. If you didn't read it carefully, shame on you. If it wasn't presented, shame on him.

We don't do code inspections in this industry. Our knowledge is based on codes, but we can not call them out as we have no enforcement capability. This also should be pointed out in your pre inspection agreement.

Originally Posted By: rmoewe

Nice post Blaine icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Ms. Lewis -

I've been doing HI's for 25+ years. I belong to NACHI, ASHI and NAHI. I've never checked a refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc. and don't know anyone that does. Appliances are not included in the SOP of any major association. If someone else did it - good for them.

If however the inspector did operate an appliance - there is nothing the home inspector would do in a home inspection that is not typically done by a 15 year old turning them on to see if they come on. So did you??

We don't measure water temperature. We don't turn on systems that have been shut down (not just the T-stat turned off but things like breakers are off, pilot lights are off, etc).

I suggest you get the final report before shooting.

Dan BOwers, CRI

Originally Posted By: rmoewe

I put this in every report that I print. This may help, when someone asks about the temp of the oven or if I checked the refrigerator. icon_wink.gif

We test kitchen appliances for their functionality, and cannot evaluate them for their performanceHope that this helps.

Rick

Originally Posted By: dfrend

To all interested parties:

I will be submitting the report for the inspection in question to the NACHI SOP committee for review. I am disturbed by the ongoing allegations, many of which are false. I am confident that the inspection and report will be shown to meet the Standards of Practice that I am bound to abide by. Any questions regarding this matter can be forwarded directly to me.

icon_exclaim.gif

Originally Posted By: mbartels

Dear Mrs Lewis,

My name is Matthew Bartels and I am the owner of Overbrook Home Inspection, Inc. I talked with you on Friday, August 27, 2004 about a home inspection on the town home in Gaithersburg for the coming weekend. The reason I am writing this is because I am curious if you mixed up our phone conversation with a conversation with Mr. Frend.

In my conversation with you I stated a price of $255 and said the inspection could take up to 2.5-3 hours of time. You replied that you wanted to book an inspection with Overbrook Home Inspection, Inc. for that weekend or the following. At the end of the conversation you implied that you were going to call the owner of the home to set up a time for the inspection since it was FSBO and no agents to give access to the home. After that conversation I never heard back from you about the inspection.

Fast forward to today. Now I see that you Hired Mr. Frend to perform your inspection and you are upset because he changed the price and did the inspection much faster than was stated earlier on the phone. I can’t speak for what Mr. Frend did or did not do but I am curious if you mixed up phone #'s or conversations and are now wrongly accusing Mr. Frend of cheating you in some way.

Please take a second to think about the possibility of this being true. It just seems like more than coincidence to me.

www.overbrookhomeinspection.com

It’s not over till you’re underground

Mrs. Lewis, I am deeply disturbed by your allegations and your actions. Many of your comments are false entirely. I am also disturbed that you appear to be misrepresenting your intentions. You have advised me on this public forum that you do not intend to sue. Yet your email communications with NACHI indicate you do however intend to spread these false statements to “the Better Business Bureau and the Maryland Association of Realtors and anyone else [you] can think of”.

I must ask that you immediately cease with disseminating this false information.

Originally Posted By: dharris

I’ve been following this subject and my question is where is the opinion from leadership of this org

The one that makes posts that he saved another consumer by paying out his pocket because they used a non nachi inspector, and posts more www.blabla.com

The one that's determined that unless you took his test your blind

The one that determined that ashi inspectors that went to the full extent to qualify for membership are no more qualified than a new inspector that passes the nachi test, regardless if they have any inspection training or if they reports meet any standards

The one that posts misfortunes of non nachi inspectors to the general public with out all the info only to market this org with all the wwwblabla.com to convince consumers that this is the only org with qualified inspectors

Originally Posted By: tallen

I would like to think that Nick is working behind the scenes trying to help Daniel Frend. I would assume we will hear about this when it is over with.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: dbush

Dan and Todd, this is a matter that is, at present, staying between a Home Inspector and His Client. That is where it should stay unless one of the two parties ask that we (NACHI) get involved.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

I hope he is. But from what I’ve heard from others is nich drops you like a rock instead of defending you when things go wrong

If it was me in this position I would be concerned about all the negative statements made about my company on this public forum until it was resolved and would demand that this post be removed

I am VERY concerned of the public post made. Not because it was a complaint, but because I maintain that my inspection met NACHI SOPand therefor fulfilled my terms of the contract. Also because some of the statements contained within are false, and I believe them to be malicious and defamatory in nature. Mrs. Lewis has been asked to cease and desist with disseminating the false accustaions and statements. Since she has now been educated as to the standards, it is my hope that she will immediately stop spreading the information that may be misconstrued to others such as agents, contractors, etc.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

As to deleting this thread, while it would help stop the spread of false accusations, I also have nothing to hide.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Mr. Harris,

Your posts are continually critical, derisive and derogatory toward NACHI and is't leadership in this and other threads. What's your beef?

Originally Posted By: pdacey

dharris wrote:
I would be concerned about all the negative statements made about my company on this public forum until it was resolved and would demand that this post be removed

Only the person who created the post can edit or remove it. Part of being an open and public BB.

dharris wrote:
But from what I've heard from others is nich drops you like a rock instead of defending you when things go wrong

Example?

As Dave explained, this matter is between inspector and client. Unless either of them specifically requests involvement by others.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

bwiley wrote:
Mr. Harris,[Dans good]

Your posts are continually critical, derisive and derogatory toward NACHI and is't leadership in this and other threads. What's your beef?

My critical comments are in no way against nachi members, it's against the way the leadership of this org uses negative statements against other orgs to promote this org.
Nick can use statements that he loves members of other orgs etc.. But hates the org.
My experience as with this org the members are the org. In the other orgs members vote to determine who speaks for them, Granted a limited amount of members of this org spoke, [probley best to leave that subject rest]

Maybe it's just me, but with my current Insp. business and other 2 successful businesses that I sold, were and is solely built on marketing my experience and creditability not on bashing other inspectors to boost my business

Originally Posted By: dbrown

Remember,there are two sides to every story.The truth,and what really happened.