What's going on in Indiana

Originally Posted By: kluce
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have called the state of Indiana asking what is going on with the state licensing requirements for home inspections. I had one person inform me that nothing is happening and when I called back today, I was informed that the licensing will happen this July but they have no information at this time. Does anyone know what is really going on since our state doesn’t.

Originally Posted By: dcampbell

Kevin

I have been wandering the same thing of what is going on in Indiana and have had no luck getting the info.

I am starting a Local chapter with our first meeting of the Central Indiana NACHI will be Setp. 8 My hope are that as a group we can find out what is going on and make it fair to all.

Originally Posted By: Tom Turner

Kevin and Dave,

I have tried to get some info on what's going on in Indiana for over a year. I have had my state senator and representative both try to summit my name to be on the licensing board. Nothing happens. I am not ASHI. This will be the most ASHI controlled state and board yet in my opinion. My state senator has told me that the board has been picked, but we can not get any names. Only that the governors office will not accept my name. I do inspections in Indiana and Kentucky with most of my business in Indiana.

Tom Turner
President of the Kentucky Real Estate Inspection Association

I have to get going for the day but I did find out a lot yesterday after 7 phone calls. The way I found this info out is too complicated so I’ll keep it basic.

One of two people that are on the board at this time is John Wall which is a professor at RECP collage - www.recp.org. He teaches classes for people that want to become a home inspector.

He informed me that if you have been in business for 6 months and have 25 paid inspections under your belt and carry $100,000 of insurance, you will be grandfathered in.

He feels a lot of information has to be done by the first of the year to meet the July 2005 deadline. He informed me to contact him at that time.

His phone number is 317-236-1473.

Tonight I'll add to this.

Got to go!

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Tom Turner:

I am pleased to announce that Indiana Home Inspection Licensing Board member Gary Davidson will be speaking at our Central Indiana NACHI Chapter meeting on September 8th.

http://www.nachi.org/centralindianachapter.htm

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

That’s great Nick I think that will be a big boost to the turn out. I may have to get a bigger room. We can only hope…

Any one heard any thing on what happened at the meeting 8/3

82 attended.

No more room. Some had to eat at the bar then join us for the meeting. Very good association bias-less law (intentionally no mention of any association) in IN. Easy grandfathering if you get in 100 inspections in your lifetime or just 25 inspections within the 12 months before you apply. No test for grandfathering. No E&O insurance requirement, just GL.

NACHI has a good friend in Licensing Board member/NACHI member Gary Davidson who was so brave to come and explain it all. He's a bit surrounded by a somewhat lopsided board and there was a worry by a continuing education provider in the audience that the board would automatically accept ASHI approved continuing education but make other's like his school apply separately but innocent until proven guilty was the overwhelming opinion, mine included. I'm just glad we have a NACHI member on the board. No NAHI members or members of any other association sit on the Licensing Board.

Attorney Ron Walker did a great job. So did NACHI's Sewer Lateral Advisory Board Chairman Barry Hollingsworth who came up from Kentucky.

Lorne Steiner of Porter Valley Software finished off the night.

I'd like to thank Dave Campbell, NACHI's Central Indiana President for doing a great job as we once again blew-out another hotel room.

I'd also like to applaud Licensing Board member/NACHI member Gary Davidson. He fielded many tough questions, some a little pointed. He even graciously offered to come to our next meeting. Thanks again Gary! It is great to have such sensible representation on the Board.

I am personally in favor of this law and am very impressed with Gary. I can report that NACHI members are in good hands in IN.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Nick -

What are we missing. We've been told that the Indiana HI Board is mostly made up of ASHI Members (like Danny Maynard - Past ASHI National President). Is this info wrong??

ASHI attempted, but failed to ASHIsize the law. The smart legislators in IN would have none of that and wrote a very fair law intentionally giving no one association an advantage over the other. I’m assuming that this board (with a good NACHI member on it) will not go against the elected legislators in IN and remain association-unbiased in keeping with the spirit of this very good inspection licensing law.

Innocent until proven guilty.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

That’s good to hear. I would have liked it a little harder for home inspectors to grandfather in. No classes required, just a test. GL is fine but I personally would like to see E&O insurance required. I think this benefits the client the most.

Is the grandfathering set in stone yet? Or is there more to come?

The grandfathering is set in stone (part of the law). What’s accepted as continuing education is up to a slightly lopsided board. Several ASHI, only one NACHI. No other associations are represented. We’ll keep our eye on them and make sure they don’t accept ASHI approved continuing ed but not NACHI approved continuing ed. That would clearly go against the spirit of this otherwise association bias-less law and reveal their corruption, especially since NACHI is now so much larger than any other inspection association and NAHI is essentially out of the picture. I’ve asked our www.bribewatch.org group to watch for this but I don’t want to unduly treat anyone unfairly…it’s just that we had a situation like this in NJ and it took a while to get rid of the scum in NJ… so I apologize if I’m a little over-reactive prematurely. I think it will be OK. The Governor did not consider association affiliation when he appointed the board and trusts that the board will act like one. I trust them too.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.