ASHI Pushing the licensing for Indiana

Originally Posted By: jrabanus
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

To NACHI members of Indiana!!!

I read the message board today about ASHI enforcing their licensing requirements for home inspectors in South Carolina. We have the same problem here in Indiana, and I wrote to the Indiana legislature about this. Therefore, I encourage all NACHI members in Indiana to do the same. If ASHI is the only one spearheading the licensing issues then they will be the one making up all the rules and monopolizing on this. Thank you for your time.

Josh Rabanus
Precision Inspections

Originally Posted By: kluce

Did you direct that letter to anyone specific? The people I talked to didn’t have any idea what was going on.

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Josh and Kevin, I humbly suggest the following (assuming that the IN legislature is similar to SC in structure and procedure):

Find out everything you can about the proposed legislation-- bill number, specific language, sponsor(s), when introduced, and to what committee is was referred. Also the bill's history and current status re. number of readings, committee meetings and votes, etc. (how close it's getting to passage). You should be able to get most of this info online. If you want to campaign effectively against the legislation, you need to know it like the back of your hand.

Within the committee to which the bill is assigned, identify those members who have been the most outspoken about the need to reduce the size of government, reduce over-regulation of small business, disempower the special interests, and so on. Higher-ranking members should be your priority, but all of them matter.

Write letters to those members (real, old-fashioned letters, on real paper in real envelopes with real stamps-- NOT emails) outlining the specifics of the legislation and its potential impact on the home inspection industry in your state (which consists almost entirely of small businesses). Identify the "special interests" you suspect of originating the bill, and what they stand to gain, and what everyone else involved stands to lose, if the bill becomes law. Follow up with a phone call and try to set up a meeting. Follow the committee's meeting schedule and if you see the bill as an agenda item, try to get yourself on the agenda as a speaker. Get as many of your like-minded colleagues as possible to attend. If the bill has passed or passes the originating body (House or Senate), focus your efforts on the other. Consider any legislator who responds sympathetically as an ally and potential "sponsor" of your cause, and take advantage of their interest.

In all of your communications to legislators, try to take the high road-- state your case in positive terms as to why the legislation is not in the best interests of small business development in your state. Try not to over-demonize the other side. Bear in mind that aside from the bill's sponsor(s), most legislators will know MUCH less about the issue than you do, so think in terms of helping to educate them. For the most part, they'll appreciate and respond positively to that approach.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck to us all.

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: Larry O’Connor

Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding the posts here.

I thought Indiana already had a law in effect for licensing home inspectors.

P.L. 145 - 2003 Article 20.2 HOME INSPECTIONS

Is this just at the proposal stage?

Originally Posted By: mbailey

John Edwards,

Excellent post ![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif) ![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif)

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Here’s a link to the whole thing that was passed in Indiana last year.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title25/ar20.2/

Read & heed??

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

[quote=“Larry O’Connor”]Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding the posts here.

I thought Indiana already had a law in effect for licensing home inspectors.

P.L. 145 - 2003 Article 20.2 HOME INSPECTIONS

Is this just at the proposal stage?[/quote]

The shell was written down. The details are still to come. From what is written, we can start to get licensed in July of this year and have up to one year before fines can be given for not being licence. A month ago, the committee still hasn't met and nobody can tell me if anyone has been appointed to the committee. I think that no thought is going into this and they are just going to go with IL rules. It sounds like it so far.

Thanks, Mark.

John Edwards

Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: cradan

that???

Regards,

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Chris,

Only if there is a reciprocal agreement between the two states.

Erol K.

Originally Posted By: LJ Johnson

You pass a law of any kind but have not implemented it yet - you don’t have a law yet. Go do it. Its totally unenforceable at this point. They haven’t even started issuing licenses in Indiana.

Originally Posted By: cradan

Indiana’s code has “pre-loaded” language about reciprocity, so that does exist. Unfortunately, I’m not sure what Illinois’ language says. In any case, as LJJ says, the law is not yet implemented, and the Board which will oversee the process is also not complete in its make-up, rules, focus or any other thing.

Cover me, I'm going in...

![icon_mrgreen.gif](upload://tbe1CncrrOs48cXpHvziOT8r0T3.gif)

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: ekartal

OOPS icon_redface.gif . Forgot that Indiana hasn’t pass the law yet. But can you inspect outside the state you’re licensed ?

Erol K.

ekartal wrote:
OOPS ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) . Forgot that Indiana hasn't pass the law yet. But can you inspect outside the state you're licensed ?

Why not? As long as you aren't violating any existing laws or regs in the state where you're inspecting, no problem. Your "home" state has no control over your work outside the state.

--
John Edwards
Pre-Paid Legal Services

I live next to IL. I’m not sure how that will work for taking the test in both IN and IL. IL test has IL laws in it. When the IN state test is made up, I bet it will not have the IL state laws or IN won’t have the IL state laws. This makes me thing the test in IN will not apply to IL and same the other way around.

I guess we will see unless they wait till it's too late and extend the deadline.

My personal opinion is that three months is too short of a time to come up with the details for home inspections in Indiana. I bet no real thought will go into the process if the licensing starts July 1st.

To answer the question, we have many home inspectors from IL come over to do inspections in Indiana. It's written so far that anyone can do home inspections in Indiana at this time. Only after July 1, 2005 will people get fined for doing home inspections without being state license.

Originally Posted By: Tom Turner

I have been trying to find out submitting a resume’ to be on the licensing board in Indiana since last summer. I have e-mailed and sent letters to my state senator and representative asking about being on the board. Last Thursday I received an e-mail form my senator stating that she would sponsor me in my attempts to be on the board. Friday I received an e-mail from the Governors office stating that the board has been filled and sorry but I was too late. They will not disclose who is on the board but I have good sources that indicate that all members of the board are ASHI members. This is a great injustice to every home inspector in the state of Indiana. Not only the ones of us that are not in ASHI, but the ASHI members also. Look for the Regulations to be heavy ASHI. If this is true then it is a sad state of affairs in Indiana

TomT

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com