What's Sump

Fellow Inspectors,

Older home with recent water proofing, drain tile installed is bsmt. The pictures show something special. The close up is what appears to be a connection the main waste line through the slab, The wide shot shows the sump pit and pump.
I have a theory about what they were doing here, but would like to hear from the assembled masses.
BTW, one of the pipes entering the sump was the bsmt sink drain line. Very special.

Anatol

cu.jpg

cu2.jpg

Some older hoomes had their downspouts connected to the sanitary sewer. Is it possible the waterproofers intercepted the downspout and redirected it to the sump? .
have no idea why they transitioned from 2" to 3" to run across the floor though.
Was the basement sink line also the laundry drain?

I see obvious signs of continuous water seepage in this basement. A rotted support post at base, a nice vertical crack on the foundation, stains everywhere and a water proofing installation at the outside edges.

But what the heck is that horizontal pipe doing?

Some older hoomes had their downspouts connected to the sanitary sewer. Is it possible the waterproofers intercepted the downspout and redirected it to the sump? .

no connection to the downspouts

Was the basement sink line also the laundry drain?
[/quote]

No the laundry tub was plumbed properly

Maybe that’s the “just in case” pipe, for if the sewer line ever backs up? Dump it right in the sump pit, and pump it to the yard.

The horizontal is the big question. I can only guess that they had a problem with the main backing up and decided to dump the overflow into the sump. Not a great idea…

Anatol

Just in case, I defered it to a licensed plumber, along with the numerous unsupported supply lines in the basement and exposed supply lines in the dining room. Who says water lines have to be in the walls???

Anatol