What's Wrong Here? 6/8/04

Originally Posted By: chorne
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I personally am very excited to have Joe here on our forum.

There is no need for debaiting, the purpose is to converse and

learn.

Thanks so much, Joe, for your time!

Your contributions are greatly appreciated!

Code is code, if a cop stops you for speeding are you going

to say that the limit in that zone should be changed?

Carla

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I think we are all glad that Joe has joined the forum.

chorne wrote:
There is no need for debaiting, the purpose is to converse and learn.

Isn't "to converse and learn" what debating is? ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Let me start by saying that I think the clearance is required.

That said, for those of you who have an NEC, look at 110.26, then look at 110.16. Notice that you have that same phrase "likely to require adjustment.......while energized". 110.16 gives us a list of the items that it pertains to (panels, MCC's, etc), yet 110.26 does not...why? Also, since a disconnect is not in 110.16, does that mean that it is not "likely to require....while energized"? If so, does 110.26 apply?

--
Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Here’s a reply I just received from the NFPA:

Quote:
1. If the switch is ?capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth?, it is readily accessible. We cannot evaluate photographs for the purposes of determining NEC compliance. In this case, determination of NEC compliance requires on-site assessment which is the responsibility of the authority having jurisdiction.

2. All electrical equipment is required to have sufficient access and working space and if this enclosed switch/disconnecting means is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized the working space shall be as described in 110.26(A)(1) through (A)(3). Determination of whether this specific equipment requires the 110.26(A) working space is the responsibility of the authority having jurisdiction based on the likelihood that it will require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized. We cannot evaluate photographs for the purposes of determining NEC compliance. In this case, determination of NEC compliance requires on-site assessment of the equipment which is the responsibility of the authority having jurisdiction.

This correspondence is not a Formal Interpretation issued pursuant to NFPA Regulations. Any opinion expressed is the personal opinion of the author, and does not necessarily represent the official position of the NFPA or its Technical Committees. In addition, this correspondence is neither intended, nor should be relied upon, to provide professional consultation or services.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Looks like the NFPA also believes like myself that it is up to the AHJ or inspector.

Thank you for posting that Joe.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob,

That's not really what they said.

They said they cannot make a determination from a photo.

That leaves two choices as I see it: 1) Pay them big money to go out and look at it, 2) Have the AHJ look at it at no charge.

The key, however, is (in my opinion) here:

"1. If the switch is ?capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over ... " "

And, in the case of the photo shown, one would have to "climb over" to gain proper and safe access for operation, renewal, or inspection.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

jpeck wrote:
Bob,

That's not really what they said.

They said they cannot make a determination from a photo.

Quote:
Determination of whether this specific equipment requires the 110.26(A) working space is the responsibility of the authority having jurisdiction based on the likelihood that it will require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized.

jpeck wrote:
That leaves two choices as I see it: 1) Pay them big money to go out and look at it, 2) Have the AHJ look at it at no charge.

Very likely the AHJ or their Representative has already been there and made the determination. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

jpeck wrote:
The key, however, is (in my opinion) here:

"1. If the switch is ?capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over ... " "

And, in the case of the photo shown, one would have to "climb over" to gain proper and safe access for operation, renewal, or inspection.

To be clear this is the Joe Tedesco photo I am taking about.

I do not see what you see, I see walking up on either side of the unit and reaching or leaning to the switch.

Of course everyone is free to report this as they feel right with, my point is do not assume it is always a violation of the NEC.

Bob

You have never read the story of the boy that cried wolf?

Kidding

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob Badger wrote:
I do not see what you see, I see walking up on either side of the unit and reaching or leaning to the switch.

Bob,

You've got to keep reading, not stop when you get to the part you want.

"for operation, renewal, or inspection."

Read beyond "for operation".

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Ah OK. icon_rolleyes.gif

Like I said report it as each of you sees fit, just do not be surprised if the electrician and or electrical inspector see it as fine where it is.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: tallen

Gone

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Bob,

Down here, they see it the same way I do.

Todd,

Why are you posting that same post on every forum?

If they are not posting, hitting them upside the head with a 2X4 once awakens them. Hitting them a second time just knocks them out.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry,

No.

look up debate in the dictionary.

"To engage in argument", "To dispute or argue about"

![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Carla

I would be happy with this arrangement. Anything else?

![](upload://fZWnp1FKHDfGmlVDqJU3RGSEXAE.jpeg)

--

Hi Joe,

Is the pad unlevel or is it the picture?

Carla

I believe that the pads were unlevel. I was standing on the cement driveway when I took this picture.

What would be wrong?

--

chorne wrote:
Jerry,

No.

look up debate in the dictionary.

"To engage in argument", "To dispute or argue about"

![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Carla

Sorry to contradict you, but ... that is what a debate is.

Entry Word: debate
Function: verb
Text: Synonyms DISCUSS 1, agitate, argue, canvass, discept, dispute, ||kick around, moot, thrash out, toss (around)
Related Word altercate, quarrel, wrangle; confute, controvert, disprove, rebut, refute; demonstrate, prove; contend, contest

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Joe T.,

RE: photos of a/c condenser units.

That's about what they are doing down here now (except the concrete mounting pad must be at least 2" above adjacent final grade, which includes the gravel).

The disconnect on the left might be a little behind the left a/c condenser unit.

I see they extended the condensate line out the wrong side of the condenser unit on the right, right through the working space in front of the disconnect. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Now, I wonder if they are anchored down? (Down here, they must be anchored down to the concrete pad so they stay put during a hurricane.)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry:

This installation was down there in Orlando, Florida.

I was using a facility for my seminars. I think it was near a UTI Motorcycle Repair School.

I also find many installations that combine the thermostat wire with the supply into the unit.

This is not allowed by the Code.

--

jtedesco wrote:
I also find many installations that combine the thermostat wire with the supply into the unit.

This is not allowed by the Code.

Jeez, we finally got those yahoos (what's Spanish for yahoos?) down there to finally stop doing that years ago. I thought they were the last ones doing it.

Well, being as it was in Orlando, if they are installed since 3/1/2002 (I wondered if it was in Florida, tell you why in a minute), they are required to meet the Florida Building Code, and that requires 3 screws and anchors per side, 12 total. If those are anchored, they are probably only anchored with one in each corner.

This is why I wondered about it being in Florida: The a/c condensate line. The one I mentioned crossing the working space for the disconnect. The condensate line AND ITS DISCHARGE (many installers forget the discharge runs toward the house) are required to be at least 12" from the foundation. And that condensate line was extended way out there.

So, those concrete pads also need to be thicker and / or higher above grade. And the final grade must be sloped away from the foundation.

Just too much I could probably write up about those if I saw them, but you get the idea, they may look good, but they are not (especially the LV in with the power conductors).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Guest

yajulio