The Working Space

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

My picture in the Inspection Photo gallery here had the correct explanation for this picture and you can quote me anywhere!

The working space required here must include a space where a person can stand in front of the disconnect without anything in their way. The width must be at least 30 inches, and depth not less that 3 feet.

![](upload://glAlvO5y0G62r5oyLvii91jmSPV.jpeg)

Think of it like this, can you stand a refrigerator box in front of the disconnect?

http://www.nachi.org/gallery/

![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jpeck

No, and I write that up all the time (well, used to, they are beginning to not put the disconnects behind the condenser units anymore).

Now, take a look at the electrical access area of that condenser unit and tell me what you see wrong about ITS working space.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: psabados

Looks like about 6 inches or so away from the exterior wall. Just a little tight. Extremely difficult to perform any kind of service. Again, there’s that code thing, about distance from wall.

Paul

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

OK we keep talking about so lets look at it. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
110.26(A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (2), and (3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.

Now the NEC definition of equipment.

Quote:
Equipment. A general term including material, fittings, devices, appliances, luminaires (fixtures), apparatus, and the like used as a part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation.

Equipment covers everything romex connectors, boxes etc.

Well 110.26 can not be applied to all equipment so it is limited to equipment "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized".

There is not a list published by the NEC telling us which equipment is likely...etc..

That being the case IMO the AHJ or inspector gets to determine what equipment is and is not covered by 110.26(A).

Sure I think working space is good, I am not small.

That aside IMO it can not be said this is black and white code.

All the testing that can be done in a disconnect often needs to be done in a junction box, does a junction box need the 30" x 36" space?

If a simple 2 pole switch in a weather proof box was used in place of this disconnect would it need the work space?

Again I invite all to this link

http://www.mikeholt.com/codeforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=003799

There are certainly folks there that agree with Jerry and Joe and even some that agree with me. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

My whole point is the rule was either left with room for judgment by the inspector or it is just poorly written.

IMO It was left for evaluation on a case by case basis.

JMO, Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob: I sent the picture to NFPA today and here is their reply:

Quote:
1. If the switch is ?capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth?, it is readily accessible. We cannot evaluate photographs for the purposes of determining NEC compliance. In this case, determination of NEC compliance requires on-site assessment which is the responsibility of the authority having jurisdiction.

2. All electrical equipment is required to have sufficient access and working space and if this enclosed switch/disconnecting means is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized the working space shall be as described in 110.26(A)(1) through (A)(3). Determination of whether this specific equipment requires the 110.26(A) working space is the responsibility of the authority having jurisdiction based on the likelihood that it will require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized. We cannot evaluate photographs for the purposes of determining NEC compliance. In this case, determination of NEC compliance requires on-site assessment of the equipment which is the responsibility of the authority having jurisdiction.

This correspondence is not a Formal Interpretation issued pursuant to NFPA Regulations. Any opinion expressed is the personal opinion of the author, and does not necessarily represent the official position of the NFPA or its Technical Committees. In addition, this correspondence is neither intended, nor should be relied upon, to provide professional consultation or services.

--

Joe I just now saw this in the other thread.

I appreciate that you took the time to ask the NFPA and posting their reply. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

I already know what the AHJ thinks in SLC and Websparkys area. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Thanks, Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

You are welcomed!

Now we need an AC Installer??

--

Joe I think this really shows one of the problems.

jtedesco wrote:

On that style (shape) of condenser unit, the service access and electrical equipment access area is at the corner, with the removable access cover wrapping around the corner.

The best way to provide that space (service access space and working space) for those units is to install the units so the service access corner is not facing the wall.

If you were to take the one in your photo, rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise, you would now have all clearances required.

It would be a huge help if the spot on the unit where the conduit entry and the plumbing connections are was not located on the same corner as the electrical compartment.

For reasons of looks and ease of installation it goes without saying these are going to be located with these connections facing the wall.

If you turn the unit a whole new problem develops trying to support, hide and physically protect the raceway and refrigerant lines.

You know how careful landscapers will be with the ride around mower. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

From the mechanical section of the IRC (2000 edition, M1305.1):

Quote:
Appliances shall be accessible for inspection, service, repair, and replacement without removing permanant construction. Thirty inches of working space shall be provided in front of the control side to service an appliance.

--
Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: evandeven

So this needs to be moved:

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/waterheaterbox.jpg ]

And, so does this:[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/panelshelf.jpg ]

And what do we do here?

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/leakyconduit.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/leakyconduit1.jpg ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/leakyconduit2.jpg ]

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Common sense applies.

What is the intent of the NEC?

I know that I and I am sure that the others who inspect use common sense.

The original picture shows no problem that a HI should worry about.

Mike P.

Mike Parks wrote:
The original picture shows no problem that a HI should worry about.

Would you write it up, Mike?

If not, why not? You are an Electrical Safety Inspector.

If yes, why should the HI NOT write it up?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

How about this one?

![](upload://yIvsF5GMLXRi3Z7SHvf1OpoVDmm.jpeg)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Jerry

With the orginal picture as the point. I have no problem with this installation.

The disconnect safely allows someone to work on the AC.

If the disconnect was to require service it would require LOTO.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I agree with Bob and Mike on this one, and don’t see a big issue with the situation shown in the original post. The switch is “readily accessible”, and I don’t think it likely that anyone would need to work on that while energized … it is very easy to get to the breaker to shut-down and lock out power.

Now if that was a rooftop unit on say a 20 story building with the breaker in the basement I would look at that differently. You could say that power can be locked out, but is that "likely" to be done ... hmmmmm.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

roconnor wrote:
I agree with Bob and Mike on this one, and don't see a big issue with the situation shown in the original post. The switch is "readily accessible", and I don't think it likely that anyone would need to work on that while energized ... it is very easy to get to the breaker to shut-down and lock out power.

Now if that was a rooftop unit on say a 20 story building with the breaker in the basement I would look at that differently. You could say that power can be locked out, but is that "likely" to be done ... hmmmmm.

I sent Redwood Kardon, Author of Code Check an email:

"They wouldn't believe me and had to use your explanation."

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=4686>http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=4686

His reply:

Quote:
Of course, I was using 110-26(A) as the reasoning for my interpretation. As you know, having been an electrician, voltages are commonly checked inside of switches e.g. they are worked live.

I'll try to take a look at it next week. I'm heading up to Oregon tomorrow
to do an ASHI seminar.

Redwood Kardon
Help With Building Codes
http://www.codecheck.com

If NACHI takes the stand that this is not a problem, they should send a notice to all inspectors (which would be a real joke) saying that they do not agree with the illustration that was posted here by Gerry!

Your opinion is just that, and that's good but the book is being sold through NACHI to members.

I will during my seminars state that I feel it is a violation and would recommend that a Proposal be sent to NFPA to make it clearer, Redwood makes a good point in his reply to me!

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--

Didn’t the NFPA make it clear that this is a decision left to the AHJ?

Bob (AKA iwire)

ECN Discussion Forums

Mike Holt Code Forum

Quote:
This correspondence is not a Formal Interpretation issued pursuant to NFPA Regulations.

Any opinion expressed is the personal opinion of the author, and does not necessarily represent the official position of the NFPA or its Technical Committees.

In addition, this correspondence is neither intended, nor should be relied upon, to provide professional consultation or services.

Bob: Taken from above, where I posted the entire message sent to me is the last paragraph: "personal opinion of the author"

You can take what he said and use it in the specific instance when the issue comes to an interpretation.

PS: His email to me was sent to the NEC Technical Committee Chairman, Jim Carpenter and to the Chairman of CMP 1, John Minick.

They will be aware of this issue and I suggest that a proposal be sent to NFPA for the 2008 NEC and ask for a better rule, one that we can all understand, remember "likely" is a vague and "undefined term" that is not supposed to be used by the committees.

--

I guess we will have to remain with differing opinions on whether the CMPs intended to leave it up to the AHJ or not.

Why don't we talk about it at one of the electrical forums we frequent?

I do not want to bore the NACHI members any longer. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob:

Not boring at all, the members love it ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) when we as electricians and inspectors have a difference of opinion, so we can continue, besides the link you posted to the same message on Mike's site is here, and with twice as many replies!

http://www.mikeholt.com/codeforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=003799

--