Which digital camera do you like?

Originally Posted By: jhorton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am an amateur photographer (strictly hobby) so when I replaced my old digital camera I bought something I could use in work and play. I ended up with a Sony CD-250. Overall I am well pleased with the camera. One of things that I liked best is now a hindrance. The larger size. I liked it because it felt like my 35mm cameras only lighter.

Well the first time I used it in a tight crawl space I hated it. Regardless where I tried to put it, it was either in the dirt, hitting the joists or pooking me in the side. I have since decided that I like film better for my hobby and I want to replace the Sony and buy something smaller. I love the view screen on the back instead of looking through a finder. But size is the big issue.

Anyone have one they really like? I have not started looking but I am going to soon.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Jeff,

I like the Olympus camera's. I use the discontinued D460. Most of the D series camera are small, light and relatively easy to use. When it comes to camera's I look for those features. Your needs may be different than mine so it will come down to what you want from a camera.

BTW...if you are looking for camera's with large memory cards, the lowest setting on my camera allows me to take 122 pictures with an 8MB card. I am pretty sure the lowest setting is 800 X 600.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jhorton

Thanks Joseph. Small is now big on my list. 600 x 800 is plenty resolution for printing in a report too. Since I don’t plan on using the digital much in my hobby by priorities have changed.

Jeff <*\><

The man who tells the truth doesn’t have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: dbush

Suprisingly, I agree with Joe. I have a Olympus D-520 with a zoom & view feature. It is a great camera and I set the resolution to 640x480 & it prints well in reports. On a side note, it does 30 seconds of video also if you ever need it.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: wwarner

I too own a D460 Olympus and have totally fallen in love with it.

When I go to upgrade my camera, I will again look to Olympus to fill my needs. Their color is EXTREMELY true to life! And they are SO easy to use!

Jeff,

It is worth noting that Dave had the lowest resolution setting on it correct, it is 640 X 480 not the 800 X 600 that I previously stated.

Thanks Dave, you da man.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: janderson

I am currently using a Kodak DC 4800. For a 3.1 mega-pixel camera, the picture quality is not as good as I would like. However, I have a wide angle lens that comes in very handy for capturing photos of entire rooms. I have heard that the Kodak LS 443 is a good upgrade from the DC 4800. They are pricey though. $350-$400 on ebay.

Within the seeds of ignorance lie the fruits of denial

Jeremiah

Originally Posted By: lmartin

Lester,

What software to you use to download the frames from the camcorder?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: lmartin

Originally Posted By: dbowers

I’ve used my Sony Mavica for 3 years and I love it. Its flash will light up the darkest attic or crawlspace and its 10x zoom is almost as good as using binoculars. The downside its too big to go with me everywhere comfortably. Two of my friends use the Canon Elph and 1 uses a Casio. They’re both very small - like a pack og cigarettes. I’m getting really interested in getting a “SMALL DIGITAL” of some kind that goes in a shirt pocket unobtrusively.

Dan Bowers