White Paint in the attic

Looking for some help understanding this - it looks like they painted just this specific section of the roof sheathing and truss, then that paint began chipping and falling due to moisture damage. This is a townhome and the other side of the firewall leads to another townhomes attic space and it’s in SC. I didn’t see/smell any signs of a fire.

!

Most likely mold cover up, especially if it’s flaking off do to moisture, just my guess

2 Likes

original ceiling texture splatter & sprayed paint through the hole you shot you pix from

1 Like

Is it over the attic access entrance? Maybe the painter cleaned his spray gun into the access hole?

1 Like

Scott, I thought the same thing based on the spray pattern and how it is gobbed on

Moisture issues? Why is the insulation pulled back with the baking tray below?

3 Likes

Also, there is a drip edge nailed to the rafter most likely to divert water into the baking pan?

There is some definite moisture issues and that drip pan sits below an active leak.

As for the paint sprayer questions, it is a few feet away from the attic entrance and from the angle it had to be sprayed, it would have been prior to the drywall going up.

There could be a cheek wall with step flashing separating the condo units, And there could be a leak in the step flashing? It also looks like the sheathing has been repaired?

1 Like

Looks like someone trying to cover something up. Doesn’t make sense why it would be so localized otherwise.

1 Like

Leaky roof, there are pans in the attic. The pans are under the painted plywood.

2 Likes

Those are to feed the mice!

1 Like

Pot brownies empty pan the mice got 'em

1 Like

Thank y’all!

1 Like

Evidence of remediation. further evaluation and repair if indicated