Will I need a truck to run a home inspection business?

2 Werner 16’ three section compact extension ladders, 1 Werner 26’ articulating ladder, Werner 6’ and 4’ step ladders. They fit in my 6’ bed and I use them all.

8 Likes

just in case?

2 Likes

I’ve been known to ignore the “low fuel” warning until I realize I’m in trouble :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Would you hire a roofer that doesn’t have his own ladder? You’ll need a ladder and a truck or van. A man should have a truck anyway… in my opinion. If you’re scared to get on a roof…you probably shouldn’t get on a roof…but you’ll have find a way to inspect it nevertheless…

2 Likes

What about drones?

A lot of hoops to jump through, but they are a good alternative for those that have physical (mental) disabilities that prevent them from being on or walking roofs. I have one and use it only when I need to.

1 Like

What do you use otherwise?

You need versatility to do the best job possible. My preference for inspecting roofs are: 1) walk - because you can get real close to everything and it is the fastest timewise, in which case you need a good extension ladder, or 2) using a pole-mounted WiFi camera (gets you good coverage if it is a small roof, fairly quickly), 3) using a drone (can get fairly close, but takes time to setup, launch, fly, etc., plus I need to download the high-resolution pictures/video afterwards), 4) from the eaves (need to move a step or extension ladder a few times - a pain), and 5) as a last resort, from the ground. For accessing the attic internally, you need to be able to access if it is an 8’ ceiling or 10’ ceiling (I use a 12’ telescoping that is only used indoors to keep it squeaky clean).

Here in Florida if you wanna compete your best bet is a 2012 Prius, that way the $199 inspection pays profits… Bet with your head not over it. :rofl:

A ladder is absolutely necessary!! You have to access attic spaces and roofs. I highly recommend walking every roof that is safe to walk to give the client a proper roof inspection and to see the condition of the roof covering material.

2 Likes

Then get out of this business fast!
Don’t walk away run.

12 Likes

Good luck finding a truck these days that is both affordable and reliable. I have owned four new trucks in my life. My first new truck was a 1995 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton Z71. It cost $20,400.00.
I traded that truck for a 1998 Chevy S-10 4x4 for $24,000. I traded in the S-10 in 2002 for a GMC long bed work truck (2 wheel drive). Best deal I ever made. Only paid $12,900 for it. It didn’t have power windows or locks, no cruise control and no air conditioning. It had vinyl floor and no head liner (just metal). With my trade in I only paid $3,900. I drove the truck for 10 years and had almost 300,000 miles when I sold it for $2,400. In 2012 I bought a 2012 Chevy Silverado Z71 LT for $44,000. I still have the truck and getting ready to have a reman transmission installed. The truck has 180,000 miles on it but it is great shape. I hope it lasts me another 10 years. I’ll never be able to afford another new truck unless I hit the lottery.
With that being said, if I hired a home inspector and they showed up in a passenger vehicle I’d be a little nervous and probably would wonder if their dad with the pick up truck was coming.

2 Likes

I know at least 3 Florida home inspectors who have run their business out of a Prius for years… One of the few cars which regularly exceed 300K miles in service. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Collapsible ladder fits inside just fine with plenty of room for our drones and all of our other tools. 30mpg and cheap.
Collapsible ladder allows us to reach most single story and multi level homes. (Most of our business).
Multiple story homes and steep roofs we just get in close and personal with the drones.

We used to use my F250 but at $5.50 per gallon of fuel and 15mph it just isn’t financial viable at this time.

2 Likes

A magnet? A MAGNET??
What a waste of prime real estate!!

1 Like

This has worked for me.

3 Likes

Do you have ladders?

Hell no! I levitate to those arears… :grinning:
Yes! I have 2 sometimes 3 ladders and a small step ladder… And a drone.

3 Likes

You are absolutely right. [quote=“Jeffrey Jonas, post:36, topic:218350, full:true, username:jjonas”]
A magnet? A MAGNET??
What a waste of prime real estate!!

[/quote]

It will eventually get better. Planning to wrap it at some point.

2 Likes

We use an Autel Evo Lite+. Works great. We also have a Mavic Mini but don’t use it much because of their geofencing.

We fly under part 107 and get permission from whatever “real” authority governs the airspace we are operating in. I shouldn’t have also get permission from the Chinese government.

I’ve had more than one occasion where DJI’s restrictions were flat out wrong and on more than one occasion they allowed takeoff but then I couldn’t get the drone to return.

The DJIs are great drones but I operate where there are a couple of major airports, a couple of smaller airports and several military bases and their geofencing just doesn’t work for me.

1 Like