Ladders

Originally Posted By: Kevin McMahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Which ladder type do you use and why? Anyone own the Little Giant ladder?

I have a 6’ step ladder for interior, and a 16’extension ladder for roofs that I just bought…I’m taking that back though as it’s reach is only about 12 foot and it’s cheap.

Was thinking of a 16’ folding ladder, but the one I checked out seemed bulky and heavy (I’m not a big guy) to be toting inside the house.

Thanks,

Kevin

--
ABC Home Inspection, LLC

Originally Posted By: rpasquier

I just picked up a Werner Telescoping ladder from Costco the other day for $99. It replaced EVERY ladder that I had riding on the roof of my car.

From the 6 footer to the 17 footer. It goes from 4 ft, to 18 feet, so I am pretty pleased with it, and it is capable of 300 lbs. It also fits inside the Montero, which pleases me even more, no more whistling roof racks...

Originally Posted By: rpierson

I use little Giant. Costs more,but very sturdy for us big guys!

Originally Posted By: slanicek

I just picked up a Gorrila at Home Depot a few weeks back. It’s the smaller one that can be about a 3’ up to 6’ step ladder as well as fold out to a 13’. Can also break down into two sawhorses. I decided to get one because it can fit into my personal cars hatchback when I need to go do an inspection and my other trucks are tied up doing something else. And for around a hundred bucks it was worth the investment.

Originally Posted By: bemelander

I use the Little Giant. I’m a big guy so I have the Heavy Duty Fiberglass one. Very reliable. 5’6" folded, 20’ extended. Gets me where I need to go. I remove the two legs to bring into the house for attic.

Bill

Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Originally Posted By: sspradling

I use a little giant, the one that extends to 17’. Not the heavy duty, though. I frequently pull it up behind me to reset go up on a 2nd story, if it’s no too steep or windy. I like the ability to offset legs to inspect taller chimneys from the roof. I also use a 28’ extension from time to time to reach 2 and 2 1/2 story roofs. Anything taller than that, I don’t work by myself. I get a second person and rent a taller ladder. Oh yeah, here’s a little tip: keep a length of light rope or a bungee for tying off to a gutter spike or strap. That way the ladder will still be there when you’re ready to come down-learned that the hard way

Stu

Originally Posted By: Kevin McMahon

slanicek wrote:
I just picked up a Gorrila at Home Depot a few weeks back. It's the smaller one that can be about a 3' up to 6' step ladder as well as fold out to a 13'. Can also break down into two sawhorses. I decided to get one because it can fit into my personal cars hatchback when I need to go do an inspection and my other trucks are tied up doing something else. And for around a hundred bucks it was worth the investment.

I went all over town today and saw the Gorilla. I like it, but the ladder only went to 13'. Is that high enough to do a roof inspection? I would have thought a 16' was needed to do the job. They didn't have one though.(not even sure they make them and the workers weren't very helpful!)
They had one cosco that was 21'. too big for what I need and they don't special order. I also saw the Werner folding ladder, but didn't like the design + it's too bulky.

--
ABC Home Inspection, LLC

Originally Posted By: rjones1

I use the Gorilla M26. I’m a big guy, its a heavy duty ladder. I leave one of the extension sections off most of the time. I only add it if I need to get up higher than 18’ or so. That way its not quite so heavy. I use a small 6’ aluminum step ladder inside most of the time.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I bought the Costco knockoff of the Little Giant for the small ladder, i.e. 3’ step to 12 foot extended. $96.00 at Wal-Mart. I use this ladder “almost” exclusively.

I also got the real little giant 17' extended, 5'6" step Heavy Duty for getting higher. Bought it through the manufacturer, Wing Enterprises http://www.ladders.com/index.htm . Got the number from the web site. Called and got the price. Said OK, where can I pick it up. Gave me a ladder store location. I went and got it and paid for it.

Would of cost a lot more at a ladder store without getting the price thru Wing Enterprises first.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

I use a 21’ Gorilla it’s pretty heavy but, I can still pull it up to get to the second story. It is very sturdy and since a lot of clients like to follow us up on the roof the sturdier the better!! icon_wink.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Todd, what would happen if a client had a problem up on the roof, or on your ladder? I’m sure you wouldn’t let an unsteady person up there with you, and handle it on a case by case basis, but consider this. If they get hurt or worse as a result of you allowing them up there with you, it could be bad for business. And does your liability insurance address this, so you know you’re covered if something happens? Just food for thought, not telling you what to do.

Stu

Stu,

I only allow people on flat and low sloped roofs which are very common here in the desert.And what do you say to a client who walks up behind you while you are checking out the swamp cooler?

My insurance said as long as I do not invite them up but, that doesn't help a whole lot ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Good points, Todd. I don’t invite anyone up either, not anymore. On an inspection-a “shotgun” house in New Orleans- I was at the opposite end from my ladder when I heard feet sliding on the shingles, and they weren’t mine. The owner had come up the ladder in his slick soled dress shoes and was coming down the ridge to check on me. I told him to sit down, take his shoes off and crabwalk down to the ladder. He got down fine, but that whole idea of others on the roof who may not be prepared gives me heartburn. By the way, what’s a swamp cooler? Does it keep the beer cold?

Stu

Swamp coolers (evap coolers) don’t keep beer cold but, they sure help with keeping you doors swelled shut. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Climbtek makes a 16’ folding ladder that closes to 51’’.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

I have every construction grade ladder made by “Werner” that I utilize. Not to mention a bucket truck at my disposal. (Belong’s to a fellow contractor). I’m spoiled.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

FWIW Stapleton Co. makes a 14’.5’’ wood ladder that fold to 44’’. Not cheap but that’s as compact as they get!

www.adjustersladder.com

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Man…I’ve been looking everywhere for a 16’ ladder…just cant find one…They seem to go from 12 to 20 icon_evil.gif

I decided against the multipurpose ladder due to weight & just carry a step ladder and an adjustable ladder…wish I could find a simple 16 footer.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Kevin, one of the smaller little giant ladders runs out to 17’. Gets me on 90% of the roofs I get to inspect, can be pulled up behind you to get that 2nd story gable roof, and folds to 4’ to fit the back seat or behind the rear seat of a suburban. Nice wide base and dosn’t dance when you’re at the top.

Stu

Originally Posted By: Jeffrey Wortham

So from reading all the replies, most of you guys do fine with 17’ ladders?

I have been debating between the 17' and the 21'.

Not sure how comfortable I am climbing some of those higher roofs!