Wind and Hail Damage Inspections Course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI course titled, “Wind and Hail Damage Inspections Course” located at Page not found.

Thank you.

1 Like

I replied, let me take the final!

Hi Members,
This is my wind and hail roof inspection course.
I checked this homes roof,The previous owner had hail damage and had it replaced.I checked all components all the flashing ,penetrations and shingles were installed with great attention to detail.
There were no defects noted.

Below is photo of shingles unfortunately it started snowing so the darker areas are just wet.

Hi Students,
This is my wind and hail damage course.
I inspected a roofing system that had just been replaced and couldn’t Find any defects the installation of this roof and flashing was top notch work.

Hi Students,
I read a couple of articles mastering asphalt shingle hail damage.
So on functional damage,If I see a roof with lots of granules missing but no cracks,tears or holes.This would effect the roofs long term service life do to the fact that the granules protect the asphalt from uv rays and erosion.So should I note roof should be replaced ? or checked by a roofer ?
The second article says 3 tab fiberglass shingle would take 1 1/4 inch hail to cause damage. Just last year My house with that shingle was destroyed by nickle and dime sized hail and the roof was 2 years old I had video for insurance company.I was just wondering where the stats came from.

Here is a photo of a roof system that appears to have snow lodged into the creases of the shingles already causing them to lift slightly at the eaves.
P1260095.JPG

Just read two articles on Hail Damage.
I found both of them to be informative.
the first one suggested the way hailstones form in the clouds by an updraft.
I wonder if we can predict a hail storm by learning the character traits of the clouds during the hail storm season?

Hi Fellow Students,

Last Saturday I inspected a roof and took the picture below. Some insurance adjusters might call this hail but I suspect it’s blistering. What do you think?

Hi, Pat. The following two illustrations from InterNACHI’s free gallery might help describe the differences between blistering and hail damage: http://www.nachi.org/gallery/images/roofing/wind_and_hail_damage/hail-damage-characteristic.jpg and http://www.nachi.org/gallery/images/roofing/wind_and_hail_damage/hail-damage-vs-blister.jpg From the image, you may be correct. Embedding and steep sides are key factors.

The purpose of this post is to fulfill the requirements for reviewing two library articles.

Inspecting Underlayments
The article is a comprehensive review of the basics of underlayments covering decking material, moisture barriers, ice barriers and headwall flashing techniques.
Major takeaways:
• The permeability of underlayment is the extent to which it allows the passage of water vapor.
• Underlayments are meant to be secondary moisture barriers and work in conjunction with the primary roofing material.
• Attaching additional moisture barriers to decking material can be accomplished by staples or “plastic caps”. Plastic caps provide additional protection against moisture.
• Ice barrier underlayment is a primary weapon to prevent damage due to the formation and melting of ice on a roof. “The International Residential Code (IRC) is the residential building code most widely adopted in the U.S. According to the IRC, the ice barrier should extend from the lower roof edge to a point at least 24 inches in from the outside of the exterior wall, measured level.”

Eyebrow Dormers
The article covers typical problems found with eyebrow installations that may cause leaks. The reasons for vulnerability of the eyebrow dormer come mainly from the transition from one roofing slope to another which is normally accompanied by a change in pitch. The change in pitch increases the risk of moisture finding its way underneath the installation. The second reason for concern is that eyebrows are commonly worked on as a separate procedure from the main roof.

Hi this is David Harris home inspections attached picture is showing tree limbs too close to the roof this could result in the increased The aging process of the roof if debris are left on the roof.

Hi everyone:
I have included a couple of pictures of a roof about to be shingled with a 40 year warranty laminated shingle. It shows proper ice and water shield placement . The eaves and valley were prepared and then the main roof deck had a 15 lb. felt applied.
thanks,
Nat

Hi everyone:
Personal safety on a roof surface can be misunderstood by the layperson or
overeager do it yourselfers. What looks easy being done by professional roofers or other contractors is sometimes a lot more dangerous than it appears.
The roof surface looks and feels very differently once you are up there than when you are on the ground. If it causes you any angst climbing up that ladder, you are better off not doing it .
thanks
Nat

Hi all,
This is a photo of a roof I inspected recently. The photo shows a missing corner of a shingle where the shingle abuts the ridge cap.

Sharing and Image for Course requirement

Image showing 10 x 10 test square of hail damage one a roof in orlando florida

Report of Hail Damage Inspection for Course Requirement:

3-tab 20 yr aspahalt shingle - laminated fiber
Estimated Age: 15yrs
Inspeacted from: ground, Ladder, Roof Surface
Determination: Hail damage consistant with two documented storms in area forund on multiple slopes of roof covering, as well as collateral damage to screen enclousure, later approved fro total replacement via insurance.

Attached is a picture of a year old house in southern Georgia that is already having shingle issues. You can see the curling/blistering of the shingles.

Here is my inspection checklist for my roof inspection.

ROOF

INSPECT:
__X__I inspected the roof‐covering materials:
__X__from the ground level
_____from the eaves
_____from a ladder
_____from the roof surface
_____from a window
__X__using binoculars
_____using a camera extension pole

_____The roof-covering materials were not inspected, because they were:
_____inaccessible
_____unsafe
_____not present
_____not within the scope of the inspection

_X___I inspected the gutters:
__X__from the ground level
_____from the eaves
_ ___from a ladder

_____The gutters were not inspected, because they were:
_____inaccessible
_____unsafe
_____not present

__X__I inspected from ground level or the eaves the downspouts.

_____The downspouts were not inspected, because they were:
_____inaccessible
_____unsafe
_____not present

__X__I inspected the vents, flashing, skylights, chimney, and other roof penetrations:
_____from the ground level
_____from the eaves
_____from a ladder
_____from a window
__X__using binoculars
_____using a camera extension pole

_____The vents, flashing, skylights, chimney, and other roof penetrations were not inspected, because they were:
_____inaccessible
_____unsafe
_____not present

__X__I inspected from ground level or the eaves the general structure of the roof:
_____from readily accessible areas
_____from readily accessible panels
_____from readily accessible doors
_____from readily accessible stairs

_____The general structure of the roof from the readily accessible panels, doors or stairs was not inspected, because it was:
_____inaccessible
_____unsafe
_____not present

DESCRIBE:

The type of roof‐covering materials I observed can be described as:
_X____asphalt shingle
_____wood shingle or shake
_____concrete or clay tile
_____metal
_____slate
_____other

REPORT:

_____I saw evidence of an active roof leak. Correction is needed.
__X___I saw evidence of a material defect. Correction is needed.
_____I saw evidence of a functional defect. Correction is needed.
__X___I saw evidence of a cosmetic defect.

There were large amounts of asphalt granules in the splash blocks and in the area around the splash blocks on the ground, recommend that roof be inspected by professional roofer.
Asphalt shingles on the eaves over the garage have started to move out of place due to failure of cement used to attach shingles. Recommend this be corrected. Shingles appear to be blistering and require further evaluation by roofing contractor.

For my additional reading I chose Green Roofs and H-Clips. With the advantages of the green roof I am amiss why there has not been more in the way of incentives and more information put out to the average American. Though there are disadvantages, these all appear to be short term issues as compared to the long term return.
Would have loved to be the man that invented the H-clips; now I see why people can walk across the roof now without worry of falling through the roof or damaging it. I can remember when I had to walk along the rafters; because, my dad told me I would screw-up the roof if I didn’t.

I up loaded a photo of wind damage to a ridge cap but have no idea where it is not sure how to get both a photo and the reply in the same place.