Wind and Hail Damage Inspections Course

Hi, Pamela.

Please visit InterNACHI® - International Association of Certified Home Inspectors and watch the short how-to video. It could be a bit tricky, but the short video should help.

I just read mastering accessing the roof articles. I never walk on a tile, slate or metal roof . and prefer to view the roof form a ladder but have been thinking about a drone, especially for two story houses.

i missed todays webinar

Hello All,

I recently inspected this roof for wind and hail damage. I found this tear towards the top of the shingle.

Dan Katen

Hi All,

I performed a visual inspection of a roof. See attached report.

Daniel Katen

Hello,

I just read an article on Wind Damage part 1. This article explains how winds move from high air pressure to low air pressure zone, this is actually what generates winds. I was unaware that the boundaries of these two zones could create both upward and downward drafts that can reach 100 mph.

I also read an article on Roof Framing part 1. I was unaware of the term, overframe. This is common is some areas, I have not encounter overframe areas before.

Daniel Katen

I read a little on wind and earthquakes.what i understand you better get down put your head between your legs , and kiss your but goodby

I am a inspector in Florida taking the Wind and Hail Damage inspection course, on the whole we do not get hail large enough to cause damage, This was a picture i cam across while doing a roof inspection in Jacksonville. There were holes in the roof and it had caused water damage.

Took me a few minutes to work out what i think had caused this. someone had removed a satellite dish and never bothered to fill the holes. Water leaking directly through roof.

One photo from a home that homeowner believed there was SOME hail damage. Owner also states that “hail damage was several years ago” !! Ah huh ! Saw no tears, holes or damage. …my inspection saw nothing other than aged and moss covered shingles.
Made recommendation that overhead trees be trimmed away from roof as well as cleaning moss from roof.

Wind and Hail Inspection Course req. -
Window bars - Window bars have great advantages providing safety and great aesthetics. But disadvantages are that they may lead to up to 25 deaths annually due to difficulty and confusion in trying to exit through them.

Vinyl Siding Inspection - Vinyl siding is a very popular wall covering because it is very durable…however, vinyl siding can be very brittle as well if struck hard in colder temperatures. Look for “ripples” in siding, this may be a sign of improper nailing.

moderate hail damage noted on south east slope. Also moderate/severe damage on east slope. Recommend replacing roof.

defective shingles.jpg

These shingles had a variety of problems. The initial issue apparently was hail damage that was not addressed. The roof faced west, receiving direct sunlight and winds, which led to additional problems.

Mastering Roof Inspections: Hail Damage, part 1 gives a basic introduction to the potential hazards associated with hail storms, including physical and financial. It also addressed the basics of how hail forms, and where hail storms are most likely to occur in the US.

Mastering Roof Inspections: Wind Damage, part 1 gives a basic background to wind events, including hurricanes and tornadoes. Wind damage occurs not only to manmade structures but also to the landscape surrounding us. Inspectors should familiarize themselves with the basic F-scale of these wind events.

This photo shows a wind damaged roof shingle, where one tab is completely missing but the point of separation is at the line edge of the tab where it was attached to the solid part of the shingle.

The torn edge is somewhat jagged and frayed which clearly indicates that the tab was repeatedly lifted and dropped by wind, causing it to first crease at the joint, then crack as the wind continued moving it up and down until it finally tore the loosened tab completely away from the shingle.

It appears that the seal-strip is partially missing, indicating that the tab was sealed until wind lifted it, as part of the adhesive apparently remained on the torn-off and missing tab. It also appears that the torn edge as well as the flat surface area which was underneath the missing tab is somewhat weathered.

This is an indication that the damage is not fresh and did not occur within the past few weeks prior to the Inspection. A review of historical weather data for the area reveals that potentially damaging winds (gusting in excess of 40 mph) were last recorded for the Inspection location approximately three months prior to the Inspection date.

This photo shows that there was minimal bonding (only one small area) and that’s the reason the tab tore loose. Time of loss has to do with color of asphalt. You should re-take the course because this kind of BS reporting is not going to cut it in the real world.

No, no , no. It’s just old organic shingles aging naturally. Absolutely nothing to do with hail. Do any of you actually pay attention? I see the stupidest things posted in this forum and no one ever responds to my corrections.

I preformed a visual inspection of the roof for hail or wind damage. There were no indications of wind or hail damage found on the roof or exterior of the home. The roof is in good condition and is about two years old.

I’ve read two articles from the library. I read the roofing article and the roofing underlayment article. This should complete my requirements for this course so I can take the final.

This image of a laminated shingle was part of a roof inspection I conducted in Rocky Point, Florida. It shows significant damage to the matting and appears to be at least 1 1/2 inch or larger hail that hit the roof. The damage to this shingle is consistent with damage found all over this particular property.

Cool roofs are specially engineered to reflect much of the sun’s radiant energy back into space instead of transferring it as heat into the building below.increased lifetime of roofing materials. Cool roofs do not experience thermal cycling as much as conventional roofs.According to the U.S. Department of Energy, some reflective roof products can lower roof surface temperature by up to 100 degrees and can reduce peak cooling demand by as much as 15%.

Fall-arrest systems provide protection for roof workers. Various forms of safety equipment are available, and guidelines are used to ensure they are installed and used properly.They reduce the likelihood of serious injury or death associated with a fall.They reduce the need for outdoor railings and scaffolds, which get in the way of the job, and provide only incomplete protection by themselves.They reduce the time required for construction and repairs, as well as the associated costs. Workers who are protected are not as concerned with fall avoidance, allowing them more freedom to concentrate on the job.