Wind mit Scenerio #8

Thanks for the research Mark. I remembered seeing the info somewhere, but couldn’t remember where, and didn’t want to post info as fact that I couldn’t support.

I’m glad you are not effected by the bashers as I don’t take offense or care what these individuals think either. There will always be those that post negative and condecending comments, and while doing so simple show their ignorance. The purpose of this message board in my opinion is to share views, gain knowledge in our weak areas and educate when and where we can. If the bashers understood this, maybe they wouldn’t be so quick to ridecule.

Clips

I’m changing my answer because I didn’t see the pics. They are clips because there not enough nails.

Send the pictures to Bill York I am sure he would love to have them for his next training course. I personally would put F since you don’t know what type of wind those trusses can take with the crappy installation of those straps

Just a thought; what if the trusses were “toenailed” when the trusses were first set, then clips were added later. Which is it? If you have to use the “weakest” condition observed as the default, then by the letter of the law all the trusses are “toenailed”. I bring this up because I used to be a Public Adjuster and I know how insurance companies work and will fight the homeowner (and their inspector) over the cost of a door knob. This program is a huge cluster **** and froth with potential problems yet to be discovered. Kinda like ObamaCare.

Honestly, I believe this is the one case where you would over look the toe nail and go directly to clips.
Here’s why, Toe nails are just nails. They could have been part of the truss stablization during layout of the house before the clips were installed. I would completely over look them.
However, if it were clips and straps. I’d go with clips. There is a difference between between temporary nails and overtly installed clips.

I would argue that it is not the weakest individual link of a fastening system, it is the weakest combined link of the system. Otherwise you would have to call a double wrap a single wrap, since it is made up of two weaker single wrap links.

How did class go Dennis?

Not great - Still no definitive date on when the reinspections will start, they were suppose to start july 6 th. We were all being thanked for our patience and understanding, but quite honestly, i think many are running a little low on patience. We were just informed that EM Solutions has partnered up with DSI Management Co. (out of Tallahassee) for reasons one can only speculate about. I think Citizens is initiating some sort of zero tolerance approach for the reinspections, and the partnership was necessary to assure quality control — perhaps — but I really don’t know —I heard rumors that a Management Vendor had recently performed a couple thousand reinspections and the quality assurance was not acceptable as too many reports were rejected. Perhaps this is the cause for the delay and the Inspection Depot training. There was quite a motley crew of contractors there – I don’t see all of them panning out, but thats kinda stupid for me to say, i looked just like them. lol

I would also choose F (other), and provide an explanation in the space provided (in addition to photos). The insurance company would then have the info they need without subjectivity (as the connections shown are clearly deficient single wraps).

According to the training instructor yesterday from Inspection Depot - This would be considered a clip.

I don’t think it’s stupid.

You know what is involved with wind mits. Some are so easy it’s a joke. Then, one comes along that tries you physically, intellectually, and emotionally.

If anyone doesn’t know what I mean they haven’t done very many.

Thanks for Keeping us informed. Let us know when you finally get some inspections.

so, so true

I really doubt that any of the reinspections are going to be easy. I have a feeling that they are going to take a lot more time than most think. I think Chris Thomas was right about saying that you could do 5 a day.

From 2001 Florida Building Code and same in 2007 FBC

2321.7 Testing of anchoring. Anchoring required by 2321.5 and 2321.6 shall be tested under the following criteria.
1.Concrete to wood straps: Minimum design uplift load 700 lb, with 4 16d nails with upper end bent over truss chord and nailed. Nails shall be clinched. Anchors shall have devices to hook into upper tie beam steel and embedded a minimum of 4 inch in concrete.

1. Wood to wood straps: Minimum design uplift 700lb with 4 16d nails each member

2. Other anchors: Minimum design uplift 700 lb.

3. The criteria stated in 2321.7(1), (2) and (3) above are minimum requirements for product approval for the Product Control Division. Anchor design…

Don’t even start talking about confirming if the strap is installed properly in the beam.

oops also, have to change my answer to clips, I did not see the photos. single wraps that are improperly nailed get bumped down to clips.

Toe nail… thats funny. I would really like to see that

Easy you do what I did answer the question in the poll before looking at your post. Due to the diaphram action of the sheathing even though the straps aren’t set properly or correctly nailed I still bet it is stronger than toe nails. That doesn’t have anything to do with filling out the form though.

I agree Mark. Any strap or clip more than a 1/4 " away from the truss is other with a comment as to why it is other.