Wind Mitigation Question

I know, didn’t see the second post until I already posted. I’m cool…:cool:

I do not think Scott will talk about this anymore :frowning:

Something tells me he will have to redo a ton of inspections and make a bunch of calls Monday or maybe do like most would and just say screw it… One thing for sure we will never ever know. I guess his clients get to be lucky for a while…

Come on Scott how many have you filled out that way? I promise I won’t tell anyone.

Scott what did you do for a living before buying a franchise? I like to know what folks did prior to becoming Home Inspectors

No problem Brad and agree as it was the NOA’s not the FBC I was referring to prior to 3/1/02 in the HVHC. :slight_smile:

Yeah Mike.
I clicked on his website…
It told me everything I needed to know :roll:
Perhaps a couse in human relations or anger management would help.

I see you have called the Miami-Dade, Broward area “HVHC” twice now. HVHZ is the correct abbreviation for the High Velocity Hurricane Zone.:wink:

Just for discussion: What would be the difference (other than date and a Florida Product Approval number) between a GAF/Timberline architectural shingle (or any other typical shingle) that was installed in 1999 with the enhanced nail pattern (6 nails per shingle) and installed in compliance with the code in effect at time of construction (assume 97 ed. of SBCCI using SSTD 10 wind design standard) and the whatever edition of the FBC?

Yes Bradley good thing we have you to monitor and to bring to our’s and the world’s attention our spelling errors on this board U R thee man!!!

No difference, Steve. Except, now you have to show the actual shingle installation complied with the correct NOA. The permit date is not a valid verification outside the HVHZ, if prior to FBC start date. I have done this many times, but only if the client kept good records and I was able to submit the proper docs with the 1802.

What records and proper documents would be acceptable? And would the insurer accept and provide the credit for such roof coverings- even though they were installed prior to the FBC and outside of the HVHZ?

The NOA and proof that they were installed on that roof. The receipt with the product, the address and NOA or NOA number.

What John said…

Proposals that are not completed as a contract and marked “paid” don’t count by themselves.

How do you verify the enhanced nail pattern?

You don’t…it’s not needed to go that far with it unless you want to. Go early in the morning with a putty knife.:slight_smile:

So- assuming that all product data, receipts, NOA, contracts (marked paid) for roof coverings and installation are all available to the inspector, there are in fact, circumstances where an inspector could mark that the roof coverings are FBC compliant for a roof that was installed pre FBC located outside of the HVHZ?

Yes, for Miami-Dade County Approved, just not FBC compliant (prior to 03/01/2002). This is one of the “OR’s” for selection A or B. I prefer to only use A outside the HVHZ. Do not put a permit date on the form, just list the NOA in the Product Approval box and submit the docs.

I don’t know about outside the zone, but I have done it several times with homes built in Pembroke Pines. The builders there decided to get all of their permits early, 1993, before the code took effect.

The good news is that the plans for those homes were available from the building department and noa numbers were available as well. Then, there was the one insurance agent who wouldn’t accept that, so I chiseled out the nail and took a picture of it for him.

Over 1600 to date… And you?

1600+

Wow Scott. That’s allot of WindMits.
Congrats to you & your clients.

Meek’s probably only performed around 160 :wink:

2 or 3 hundred I guess :roll:

I guess you got a lot of splaing to do then :wink: