Window component identification and defect description please

What do you call the mechanism at the sides of the window for modern, vinyl (or wood) windows that attaches to the bottom of the sash? How do you describe the defect when the mechanism isn’t attached? It sometimes keeps the sash from staying raised, and definitely affects the tilt function because the lower sash tilts and may fall out of the frame when you try to tilt it.

1st photo shows a disconnected mechanism. 2nd shows one correctly attached.


010110 078.JPG

010110 078.JPG

good question…

try something like this

The xxxx window has disconnected or broken hardware along the frame edge(s) that prevent proper operation. This affects both the use of and the safety of the window.

Thanks. For some reason, Kevin Costner kept coming to my mind saying, “Engage the mechanism”. (For the Love of the Game).

When I worked for The Home Depot, customers would bring them in for replacement on their American Craftsman vinyl windows. The name of the replacement part was a “sash balance”. That is all I’ve ever heard them referred to.

Balance mechanism.

A little thingy on the bottom of the window is busted. You might want to get it fixed :slight_smile:

Track mechanism.

Michael, do you want to try a third time? :mrgreen:

Spiral thingy dingy? :wink:

Adjust Tilt Window Spiral Balance

If your tilt windows require adjustment, such as sash dropping or pulling up, or if the spiral rod is disengaged, adjustment is simple:

[li]Tilt sash downward to expose balance shoe. Using diagram 1, disengage rod from shoe. Do not disconnect rod from tensioning tool.[/li]

[li]Rotate rod slightly to the right.[/li][li]At the same time, pull rod downward.[/li][li]Slip rod away from the pivot lock shoe.[/li][/ol]

[li]If sash is dropping, add tension by rotating rod clockwise. Do not exceed more than two full turns at a time, doing both sides equally. Reconnect rod, repeat process if needed.[/li]
[li]If sash is pulling up, less tension is required. do both sides equally; rotate rod counter-clockwise one turn. Reconnect rod; repeat process if needed.[/li]
[li]If rod is disconnected from shoe then follow diagram 2, for position of rod before connecting rod and balance. Apply tension to both sides equally, not exceeding four turns at a time.[/li][/LIST]

Michael is correct, it is the balance system for the operation of tilt, single and double hung windows.
Sometimes the Manufacturers will mess up and the balance systems will allow the top sashes of double hung windows to creep down.
This means that the balance was improperly sized for the weight of the window sash and when one is broke or disconnected, the operation of the window sash will not operate adequately and in need of repair. :slight_smile:

Local window manufacturers call those “balance rods”. The one you are showing in the first photo has become disconnected at the bottom of the sash. The helix rod is usually inside a metal tube and not visible. Some windows have square tubes but most have the round ones. Often the helix can be reconnected at the sash and made serviceable again. Sometimes it is just time to replace the rod assembly. See this a whole lot particularly on inexpensive “spec” windows.

]( Terms Glossary

**Air Chambers
**Small honeycomb spaces within the sash and frame which help to insulate and strengthen the window
**Air Infiltration
**The amount of air that passes between a window sash and frame. In windows it is measured in terms of cubic feet or air per minute, per square foot of area. The lower the number, the less air the window lets pass through.
**Air Latch
**Latch mechanism on the interior face of the sash that retains the window in a partially open position for ventilation.
**Angled Exterior
**A sloped extension from the frame that adds an aesthetically-pleasing dimension to the exterior of the window.
A****rgon gas
Argon is a safe, odorless, colorless, non-toxic, non-flammable inert gas that is commonly used in place of air between the glass panes of an insulated Low-E glass unit to reduce temperature transfer.
The center member of a double door, which is attached to the fixed or inactive door panel.
Awning window
A window unit in which the bottom of the sash swings outward for ventilation.
**Balance System
**Device for holding vertically sliding sash in any desired position through the use of a spring or weight to counterbalance the weight of the sash.

Bay window**
A composite of three windows, usually made up of a large center fixed unit and two flanking units at 30-,45- or 90- degree angles to the wall.

Thanks everyone. I had googled it earlier but didn’t find anything useful.