wires in conduit...not

When as a generalist do we call out wiring that is not in some type conduit?
I see Romex non metallic wire ran from sub panels in garages for example that is attached to the framing and ran along to plugs, switches etc. often more than not. If permits were pulled is this not a code issue?

Single conductor wirings need to be in conduit.
As opposed to …lets say 12-2 w/ground.
Even then if it is in a location where is could be damaged then conduit.

I see it all the time. I just tell’em it should be secured so as not to be damaged.

I can’t find the pic, but a few years ago, I found a wire running inside a closet wall to a light mounted high on the wall (instead of the ceiling).

The wire was not only to supply power to the light, but it doubled as a place to hang some of their clothes on!

NM cable (Romex) is not required to be in conduit unless a local jurisdiction requires it.

The only thing is it needs to be protected from physical damage. If run on the surface of studs that would generally need protection. If on the side of studs then this is common and not usually a problem.

Of course you as a generalist can call out whatever you want to call out.

Thanks, just wondering as I don’t mention this but had another inspector say if I don’t he sees that as an inadequate inspection… That’s where we all differ … There is SOP then there is everything else

As mentioned non-metallic cable in residential installation does not need further protection or conduit as per code. (I use canadian code and am an electrician by trade - but NEC does not vary much in most areas)

Further to that even when conduit is required, one would not pull non-metallic sheathed cable into the conduit, would provide too much unnecessary fill, and is not necessary.

There may be some conditions where protection is required - as mentioned where physical damage is possible (exposed and prone to damage) or when buried as examples. However, there are even solutions here which do not necessarily require conduit.

Each case would have to be reviewed… but in general one would rarely install conduit in residential, and would not pull NM cable into it.

If you did require conduit, you would not normally pull NM cable into it. Adds costs, adds conduit fill, makes using code for conduit fill calculations incorrect, etc. I can not recall anywhere it says to not pull into conduit, but can not imagine why anybody would.

Using conduit for physical protection of NM cable is done around here quite often. Something like this:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1681&d=1210812331

Ok as I suspected it’s not a code issue but could be considered safety in some cases but is an opinion as many things reported. Thanks

**[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]From the 2008/11 NEC.

**[FONT=Times-Bold]ARTICLE 334 Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM, NMC, and NMS
334.15 Exposed Work. **[/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]In exposed work, except as provided in 300.11(A), cable shall be installed as specified in 334.15(A) through ©.[/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]**[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2][FONT=Times-Bold]size=2 Protection from Physical Damage. [/size][/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]Cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or other approved means. Where passing through a floor, the cable shall be enclosed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or other approved means extending at least 150 mm (6 in.) above the floor. Type NMC cable installed in shallow chases or grooves in masonry, concrete, or adobe, shall be protected in accordance with the requirements in 300.4(F) and covered with plaster, adobe, or similar finish.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman][size=2][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]
[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2][FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]334.30 Securing and Supporting. **[/size][/size][/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=1]1[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]⁄[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=1]2 [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box, [FONT=Times-Roman][size=2][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge. Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway shall not be required to be secured within the raceway.
[/size][/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

Join Askcodeman.com