Women Inspectors?

Originally Posted By: Cj Suter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

It looks like there aren’t that many female HI’s out there. Am I wrong? I’m 29 and just getting into this field. Ive been a structural estimator for the past few years which is another field with very few women. I would love to hear from any women home inspectors out there about their experiences. I’m also in the market or general info about getting started. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Cj,

Welcome to the NACHI MB.
There are plenty of women in the HI field and I'm sure your gender will not get in the way of your structural knowledge. You go girl.

Let me contact Carla to give you her opinions and past experiences. Stay tuned.
![](upload://6WHGzyczwCP1NFUn1DGaoIwYdC5.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jpeck

CJ,

Your are right in that there are not many. Out of probably 200 inspectors in South Florida, there are probably only about 6 or so who are not men (and some of the men are suspect ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ).

At our ASHI Chapter meeting last night we had one female inspector come, she is just getting into the business.

Hope the best for you. If you have the knowledge, you should actually have an advantage over us with the women (not being biased, it's true), but a disadvantage with the men. Sad, but true, in most cases.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Susan

Hi Cj,

Welcome to the profession!!

I'm coming up on three years in the inspection field and have yet to encounter any problems with being female. Currently I hold an active home inspector license and work as a municipal building inspector.

When I first started as a building inspector, I'd arrive at a construction site and feel like I was walking into a barbershop (do ya know that feeling?) ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

After the first 30 arrivals at various construction sites, I felt more at ease. It is hysterical to arrive in the car and all heads look when I get out and then a comment like "oh, a woman inspector!!". I only recall one time in the past year where some concrete crew thought they'd get an easily passed inspection on a footing but they had already aggravated me by whistling/cat calling when I got out of the car.

I've got ya beat by a few years as far as age. Most realize when you start talking that you know what you're talking about. Haven't had any problems at all and actually I don't get all rialed up like some men do. I truly enjoy my job. Women (and men to) have requested me for inspections (as opposed to the men inspectors). There is a definite need for women I believe.

I wish you much success and don't ever let being a female stop you from something you feel you'll be good at and can contribute to!!

Sincerely,
Sue Cieslewicz

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

From an advertising standpoint, women home inspectors have an advantage. The general public assumes that a woman in a predominantly man’s field, (lets say heavy equipment operation for instance), did not get their by luck, accident, nepotism, etc, but rather attained that position through extra hard work and skill.

A woman in a predominantly man's field is presumed to be handicapped by her own sex. In other words it is assumed that she had to be EXTRA good to offset this handicap (if only a perceived handicap). And I'm not so sure this presumption isn't correct.

Stay confident.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Guest

I like women.

Beyond primal instinct, I’ve grown to acknowledge that women seem to have a better attention to detail. It’s not a sexist thing it’s an observation.

Susan is the perfect example. She calls and notices things that might not alert me. Wait…to be fair, Jerry does too.

So, I guess my point is moot. The ONLY important issue is the competency of the inspector. Period.

Originally Posted By: aroden

And another positive thing about female inspectors is that when a customer calls 6 months or more after the inspection and you have one of those discussions where they say “But you told me…”, a woman inspector will actually be able to remember every word of that 6 month old conversation and repeat it back verbatim…

Originally Posted By: jpeck

CJ,

As an example, on another forum, Susan's posts are respected more than some of the mens posts.

Susan, welcome aboard, I caught a couple of your other posts, but forgot to welcome you aboard.

You, CJ, Lisa, we've got a couple of women participants / contributors to this forum.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi to CJ, from CJ!

Go for it!!
I wish that I got into this field 20 years ago

I actually love my job and I love going to work

Alot of people like having a woman Inspector

So don't let the ratio scare you away!!

Carla

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Jerry

"Susan's posts are respected more than some of the mens posts."

Thats because she knows more than the guys. And she does not feel the need to answer every post. Unlike some of us. Who me???

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: kpapp

Welcome Cj,

Don’t let your being a woman slow you or wave your decision on becoming a home inspector. When I was an elecrtican down in Fl I learned more from a woman that was the local building inspector for the county. I can say I failed quite a few of her inspections and she was very good at her job and we all had an incredible respect for her. I think you will have no problem and are more than encouraged to become an inspector…wish there were more woman that would become inspectors.

My 2.5 cents worth anyhow...welcome aboard!
Ken Papp

--

Originally Posted By: Susan

Jerry, Chad and Mike…

Thanks!!!!! You guys are a wealth of info. (even though you're guys!!!) ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

"With All Due Inspect"
Sue

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

Welcome CJ,

As another woman inspector I know what it is like to break into this industry. Overall the general public and Realtors have no issues with us as inspectors as long as we do our job, every once in a while you will run into that stereo typical A*hole who thinks women do not belong in the field and well you know how it goes. Just remember they are outdated and no longer relevant, it helps. Breaking in takes time and perserverance and consistantly good work. I am associated with 4 other women in my area, we are currently working on the old girls club… icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: awong

deleted

Originally Posted By: Laura Line

Cj,

I am from the Baltimore area, and am probably one of the only female inspectors around here, at least that is what I here when I show up. I am with a great company. I have had some realtors say WOW a female inspector, and even and ONE (woman) who demanded the boss re-inspect my work, because I was a female, this was before we started, I found major structural damage from termites and other items which she did not detect. (She called the termite inspector (who had already been out to inspect) and he said, that the house needed a structural certification due to the termite damage and that he would not consider the house safe) I asked her, did I pass your test? she said YES you did....she gave me a raft before we started and beleive me, I was a bit red in the face, and I know that I will have this from time to time. The company I work for has been in business for over 10 years and is very reputable and I don't believe he would of hired me and put me out there without having confidence in me.
Good Luck to you, feel free to contact me as well.
Laura

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Not that it will happen often but I have to agree with Chad. No, I don’t mean the rambling part! icon_cool.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Guest

I’ve marked the date on my calendar. Joe Myers and Chad Fabry agree on something.

I hope that’s not an omen…did anyone else feel the earth shake?

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Chad,

My house was shaking so bad as I typed those words, I almost could not finish. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Its really weird how women evolved in the HI business. In Kansas City we’ve had at least 1 woman inspector since back in 1987 when a lady HUD Architect started doing them as a part-time income. Then in 1988 or 1989 I met a lady bartender that had been dating a HI and started helping him do inspections - when they split up, she kept doing them.

In about 1992-1993 a local HI just bailed out overnight and the lady that was doing a combination of marketing, helper and scheduler got a couple of local HI's to field train her and she started doing HI's. If I remember correctly she was a band director or teacher before that. Then 2 long time inspectors (1 an engineer) started using their daughters to help them on their inspections and soforth and soforth. We've had women since back when in HI in KC.

Go to St. Louis and they only claim 1 woman inspector (an engineers wife who is an engineer herself). Go to Des Moines, Omaha, Wichita, etc and I've never heard of a woman HI - go figure.