Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection Course

Here’s what I did in my home inspection business in PA.
I used the resources that InterN provides: Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection Resources - InterNACHI®

I stayed within the scope of a home inspection, looking for anything that damages wood. But I did not diagnose “bugs.” I just reported what I observed and recommended a licensed pest control company to look further and possible treat the property. I packaged that service within my home inspection. I did not charge separately for a wdo inspection.

It’s time to get down and drity with WDO. And find out why thoses little buggers are so hungry? Happy Testing!

Just getting started on this course…looks like another interesting one…

Starting WDO course! Downloaded the book!

Ready to learn. I am a new member Loving InterNachi! . :slight_smile:

Ok, I have a question. I am in Texas and I am searching everywhere trying to understand if this certificate will allow me to inspect for WDI in Texas. I know this is not a Certificate for an Applicator License, but I don’t really understand how it works if I only want to inspect for WDI in Texas. And yes, I went to the Department of Agriculture website but still don’t understand. It seems like I need a license to be able to use the inspection report. Any feedback? Thanks!

Starting it right now … Wish we did one on Mites !

Wood Destroying Organisms. Evidence of damage and infestation by subteranean termites inside the home, along the moulding (and later confirmed along the sill plate); note termite pellets as well.

Thanks Royston

This is a area where the stucco and foundation is cracking .
Recommend to have a WDO professional check it further.

After doing a inspection around my home I found a area that would need further evaluation by a WDO professional. I did not see any living organisms but what appeared to be mud tunnels. After doing the course I have learned so much more.

InterNACHI…always a learning experience…took the required Membership exam…got a 94%…
”Sorry, but you didn’t Pass this exam”…WHAT!..
Wood Destroying Organisms…got a 47 on that part…sorry pal no cupi doll for me…gee after all those NatGeo programs and watching David Attenborough trek thru forest, desert, mountains and jungles, a thought I knew a thing or two about bugs…

Check out InterNACHI Online Education, Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection!..OK
You will be glad you did.

Tom
Tommy Llama Home Inspection Services
Bradenton, FL

This image depicts the proper 6" clearance between grade and the wall cladding. Termites will have to build mud tubes in order to travel this span.

This is a photo I took of a sill plate and floor joists with major decay. This is the result of extreme humidity and no ventilation in the crawlspace

Termiticides applied to the soil at this stage of construction would help in greatly reducing the chance of a termite infestation of this property!

Hi everyone I enjoyed the course it helped me to understand more on WDO’s

That was a very detailed course. Well done. I learned a great deal.

Ben,
I believe I found a small error in Chapter 26: Glossary --under Fungus
It states;
fungus (plural fungi): a group of small, often microscopic, organisms in the plant kingdom that cause rot, mold and disease. Fungi need moisture or a damp environment to grow. Wood rots require that host wood has a moisture content of at least 19%. Fungi are extremely important in the diet of many insects.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Fungus should be in the kingdom Fungi and not in the Plant kingdom as stated. The PDF for the course states the same.
Thanks, Ryan Goulart

These are not termite mud tubes. These are nests of the Dirt Dauber or Mud Dauber wasp. Though they may look similar sometimes, termite mud tubes will usually extend down to the soil.

On a side note, I think woodpeckers should be considered a WDO. They tore up my wood siding on my chimney chase 30’ up on my house! :mad:
Thanks, Ryan Goulart

good day,
as part of the WDO training please see attached picture of termite frass…although no holes were observed or hollow sounds came from the frame it is recommended that a licensed pest control professional be contacted for further analysis…

th.jpg

good day,
as part of the WDO training i selected termite control in the home and termite baits…being aware of the home structure and receiving the training provided here allows us the inspector to identify possible WDOs,