Workspace in front of furnace

What is the frontal workspace requirement for the control side of a furnace? I tried a search of the threads but nothing came up. I thought it was 36". Am I being too picky?

DSC03524.JPG

DSC03524.JPG

I believe it is 30". According to my Code Check book. Those are about all I use.

Wow! Is that a drip leg on the gas line??? Have not seen that in some time around these parts.

Working space is to be 30" X 30" with a clear and unobstructed passageway at least 22" wide leading to the unit. I always write-up obstructions, especially if it is a gas line such as what is there. Makes a nice trip hazard and damaging the gas line of course would not be good.

How close are the suction and liquid lines to the flue pipe?? Looks to close. Also the liquid line is directly in front of the units front panel. I would write that up also as it is not only an obstruction but can potentially lead to damage of the line.

The flex gas gas line also appears to be obstructing the front panel removal as is the white cabling. They require re-routing away from the panel access.

Are those approves mounts under the unit? I rarely see units in the attic that are not mounted via straps to the framing so would have to look at Carriers install instructions.

Now what were you saying about being to picky?

From IRC

SECTION M1305

• APPLIANCE ACCESS
    • M1305.1 Appliance access for inspection service, repair and replacement.Appliances shall be accessible for inspection, service, repair and replacement without removing permanent construction, other appliances, or any other piping or ducts not connected to the appliance being inspected, serviced, repaired or replaced. A level working space at least 30 inches deep and 30 inches wide (762 mm by 762 mm) shall be provided in front of the control side to service an appliance. Installation of room heaters shall be permitted with at least an 18-inch (457 mm) working space. A platform shall not be required for room heaters.

HMMMMMM code inspectors

You’re allowed to use a 24" service platform in may area but need to have 30" of space in front of access doors. When you hand a unit in a trussed attic they also look past framing blocking sections of unit doors as long as you can get them off. I don’t know how many times Ive had to deal with a truss in front of a blower wheel.

Good information here and I thank you. Does anyone know when this requirement went into effect originally? Trying to find it but not seeing much. This looks like early 2000s perhaps but if anyone knows back further, that would be helpful. Thank you