Would you call this out!
Would you call this out!
Comment - compiled from several sources on this board…
**Electric panel—**Neutral wires installed underneath the same screw. Safety hazard. More than one “grounded conductor” (neutral /white) wire per screw on the neutral bus bar (double tapped/lugged). Each “grounded conductor” is supposed to have it’s very own screw on the bus bar, no other “grounded conductor” or “grounding conductor” (bare copper wire) should be under the screw with the “grounded conductor”. Recommend repair by a licensed electrician.
Let me take a shot.
I would on the grouped neutrals.
The information below I obtained from someone on this board.
“Neutral wires are doubled or bundled together on the neutral bus bar. Although
common practice in the past, this is unsafe due to the need to turn off multiple circuit breakers to work on any of the circuits using these wires. A qualified electrician should evaluate and repair as necessary.”
It would depend on the age of the install on the ground and neutral connections.
Best to have each neutral on its own terminal and the grounds can be doubled together.
If there were indications of a neutral being overheated (brown or scorched insulation).
That is not uncommon to see in a older installs.
Multiple neutrals concern me more than multiple grounds under one lug though.
I always call it out but I doubt it ever gets fixed.
four years old. I called it. Thanks!
Have, do and will.
All day long.
Never heard that reasoning before. I think the reason has more to do with conductivity where energized conductors may not receive a proper connection.
At any rate, I don’t specify a reason. I just tell them it’s not allowed by today’s commonly accepted standards.
Nice to see you Peter. :mrgreen:
Hey, Brian and Jeff! WHAT UP! :mrgreen:
There are a couple of different bad things that can happen with two grounded conductors on a terminal that is not designed for more than one conductor.
The grounded conductor is a current carrying conductor. The grounded conductor is energized but has no potential (Voltage) between it and ground. If the connection is lost, there is a potential between the grounded conductor (which is no longer grounded) and ground. Anyone coming into contact with the white wire elsewhere in the house could be electrocuted.
The other major problem is that if the two grounded conductors are in contact with each other but have a loose connection to the bus bar, 240V could be impressed on 120V loads (if they are on opposite legs). That’s a common cause of electrical fires.
The bottom line is that the two white wires under the same screw can cause both a fire and a shock hazard.