As far as improper installation, that was one of the first things the insurance company stating they thought was wrong. After getting a diagram of the proper installation and inspecting the shingles this was not the issue. The insurance company then said it was deterioration of the shingle, i.e. it was in bad shape. After discussing the issue with the manufacturer, and by obvious visual inspection of the shingles, this was discarded as well. Then the insurance company claimed the manufacturing defect with the seal. However the Engineering firm the insurance company had me call said it is not necessarily a manufacturing defect if there is dirt under the shingles preventing them from re-sealing. I had already mentioned the dirt under the shingles to the insurance company in one of my first phone calls to them. The insurance rep said he still didn’t think that changed his position. After asking for his Supervisor’s name and number, 5 minutes later I get called with an offering of $500 to re-seal the shingles. I asked him how he could quote a price without ever seeing the extent of the damage (i.e. they have repeatedly refused to inspect the shingles again because they say the problem is a manufacturing defect, using the previously mentioned engineering firm who evidently told them in the past that if wind breaks the seal of the shingle, it will fly off without exception and cannot be left un-sealed. Of course my conversation with an employee of that firm did not totally agree with that statement). After asking other professional engineers, it appears they agree with the contractor since any shingles that have been lifted through nails leaving a hole in them will leak, and the underlying base sheet may be cracked allowing the plywood deck to dry rot and potentially cause molding in my attic insulation. Also, there is no guarantee every shingle is re-sealed, and it does not fix the shingles that did suffer some cracking or tearing. I am waiting for the employee of the insurance company’s Engineering firm to get back tomorrow to ask him about these people’s concerns.
In any event, I found that wind speed across the entire region were 65+ MPH during this particular storm, and the shingles are only guaranteed to 60 MPH, therefore there is no way you could claim manufacturing defect anyway. I feel I have a rock solid case against the insurance company and I will be talking to them again tomorrow.
Thanks for all of your help and input. I appreciate the education that I have been given by a great many “strangers”, including yourselves. It takes good-willed people to willingly give their time and knowledge to help others. Thanks again.