Years as a Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dkeough
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Jerry Peck and Joe Farsetta brought up an idea so that we can see the years of experience of our members. Please respond to help us understand where are demographics are. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I’m not sure what this means as it is not a poll of our membership but rather a pole of visitors to this message board. I think any pole on this message board that uses the words “our members” is misleading because in fact… it isn’t a poll of our members. Most of the members I speak to personally say they visit the site periodically, but don’t post on the message board, they just like reading it.

It's a bit like a talk radio show... millions of listeners but only a few call-ins.

Having said that one must realize that the average length of a career in home inspections is short. The huge rotating list of ASHI candidates supports this contention.

NFL running backs, Real estate agents, and home inspectors are all in professions with average careers of about 3 years.

We want to increase that and make "home inspection" a lifetime career option for our members.

Nick

Originally Posted By: cbartlett

Is there any reason why the average length of a home inspectors career is only about 3yrs, and where is that information taken from

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Chris I would think a part of the reason is that most business of any type fail in their first year, and this one is no exception. I’m in my first year for the second time (the first time was very successful in VA) and even with the knowledge I gained the first time, this first year is a bitch too!

Originally Posted By: cbartlett

Thanks for the reply. I am very proud to say that I am starting on my third year in byusiness and the year is starting out with a bang. Though as you put it , its a real bitch getting it going and keeping it running

Originally Posted By: rsonneson

I believe that one of the stated reasons for real estate agents and home inspection company turn over is burnout and the fact the 80% of the busness is done by 20% of the companies involved in the bussiness.

Bob Sonneson

American Home Inspection Technologies

Originally Posted By: phughes

I actually started last year, and did feel good to make a profit. I expect to do better this year. However, I’m in this for the long haul. I think a lot of people fail because they are not cut out for it. They have no idea how hard the work is, and how much knowledge is required. That to be a good inspector is not just learning something out of a book or having worked with someone else and that makes you knowledgeable. I think we are generalists, and need a broad knowledge base. You hear of people having done something for 10 years and just because of that they are good. Not true. How about the mechanic that works on cars for 20 years, and doesn’t have a clue how electricity functions, or are just part changes. Knowledge, experience, desire, and personality all play a vital role in success. That goes for the janitor, the home inspector, the school teacher, or the President.

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

What is the average lenght of time for a home inspector?

Originally Posted By: dkeough

See Nick’s post above

Originally Posted By: rray

I think Ben might have been meaning to ask what the average length of time for a home inspection is. If so, it certainly varies. I always try to take enough inspectors to a home inspection so that it is never longer than three hours. Took four inspectors to a 7760 SF home a week ago and we were done in 2 hours 45 minutes. Listing agent was impressed, as she stated that she had come prepared to spend the whole day at the inspection. I told her about my three-hour goal, and she has an inspection scheduled for this coming Tuesday.

Teams obviously take less time than individual inspectors. Size of the house matters, as does amount of deferred maintenance and amount of storage present.

![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: tallen

I have inspected 1200 sq.ft. homes that lasted 3.5 hours and 3000 sq.ft. homes that lasted 2.5 hours. It all depends on what you find. For example a fix-up will normally take much more time than a well maintained home. That’s why I charge extra for fix-ups

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’ve haven’t inspected many, but my shortest time has been 4 hours and the longest lasted 5.

The longest was 5 hours driving 5 hours inspecting and three hours on the report! icon_eek.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

I hope you charged extra for drive time icon_eek.gif

I did 1 inspection about 2 hours away and it was a 1100 sq.ft. fix-up

normal fee 240 after extras 305 and the client said I was the least expensive inspector he could find!! As Russel would say ---time to raise prices!

25 for the trip and 40 for the fix-up

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: ekartal

gromicko wrote:

NFL running backs, Real estate agents, and home inspectors are all in professions with average careers of about 3 years.

Nick

I don't know about the football players or agents, but I think one of the main reasons for HI turnover especially among the very new is the fact that it will cost at least $20K first year to operate. That's the figure for my one man company. This is assuming you already a good home computer.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect Inc.

My first year which just ended was $21,350.00, and I am in the hole------------- for now icon_smile.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

I spent $65 grand my first year. That could explain why I had such a successful first year. Spend less and grow more slowly. Spend more and grow faster. It’s all relative to what one wants to accomplish.

I had heard that running backs are 7 years instead of three.

For any business, your goal is to get past that fifth year. Statistics show that the 80/20 rule holds true for those first five years in that 80% of businesses will fail within the first five years. That's my main reason for not getting too involved in too much during these first five years, and I think that's where the trade associations fail us. They try to force new inspectors and candidate members to do all this continuing education stuff by going to monthly dinner meetings, classes, conventions, etc. That's malarchy and doesn't help my business grow. Guerrilla marketing helps my business grow.

I'm coming toward the end of year three in a couple of months here. I think I'm well on the way to going where I want to go, but if I quit doing any of the things that are bringing success right now, everything could fall flat quite easily.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

You must have gone Hog Wild, Erol. I got away with a little under 10k last year (first) and 3 of that was insurance. I did have a computer already though. icon_biggrin.gif

Again, I think it is so short of a career because of the first year failures. Most guys that get into this don't realize that you will almost always absolutely starve the first six months to year. Many don't have enough money put away to make it that long, and then go get a job. Once you can't be there all the time, business starts to slip away.

This is also a first time business ownership for many people. That alone can doom a business to failure if the person doesn't realize all of the things it takes to be an owner/operater.

Most of my friends who are inspectors have been doing it for at least 5 years, and some as long as 20. I'm in my 10th.

Blaine
Chief cook and Bottle Washer

OK I padded 5K for safety. eusa_liar.gif But heck my E&0 is 4K.

Erol Kartal

I had $65 grand to spend and I needed to spend it on a company that would be profitable within six months. If I didn’t spend it, it would be sitting in a savings account and I would not be where I am right now. I would be working in the computer, graphics, or marketing industries working for someone else.

For my other four companies that I started from ground zero, I also spent $65 grand, give or take a couple of thousand. The only difference was the time frame. Here I spent it in three months and was profitable after the sixth month. In my other companies, I spent it in 18-24 months and was profitable in 24-30 months.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Russel,

I get this feeling that you're going to dominate your market if you haven't already. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Erol Kartal
ProInspect