150 Amp Service

If the main is 150 amps then it’s a 150 service like it says in the thread title.

1 Like

Im not sure what citizens exact standards are but as far as I can remember current standards indicate that It is recommended that no residence be served with less than a 100 amp rated service entrance. As home inspectors we don’t do load calculations so it’s left up to your discretion if to call it out or not.

In Minnesota, for existing homes the minimum recommended is 100A.
New builds require 200A +.
IMO, if the home has ONE of each basic appliances typically found in a home in your area, 150A should suffice.
When you get into multiple AC units, swimming pool filtration systems, and other systems found in Florida homes, then a bump to 200A+ would be necessary.
That would be how I estimate the homes needs. Any more in depth or exacting than that requires an Electricians analysis and determination.
JMHO.

5 Likes

I have never called out insufficient amperage on the 4 point. But, like Yacdiel said, I would if I came across a home that had anything less than 100 amp service, or if it was a large home with multiple appliances, or two kitchens on 100 amp service.

I am not sure why they even ask that, because it is not up to us to do load calculations. They have all available info on the 4 point, and if they are concerned, they can do something about it. (However, I would report these concerns to the buyer)

BUT I do strongly suggest that you take more electrical courses, though. That meter does not have a disconnect inside, and they never will. A disconnect is an accessible breaker. And knowing where the disconnect is makes a huge difference on how every panel is to be wired…

5 Likes

That means nothing

3 Likes

A CL200 meter is good for up to 200 amps. It does not make this a 200 amp service.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m curious at to why the meter size would ever be considered when trying to determine the service size. Is this part of the training?

1 Like

Very informative thanks for the advice!

No, it’s not

From the NACHI How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections Course…

Calculating Available Amperage

In many cases, the listing information about a home may not be correct regarding the service amperage because brokers or owners rely solely on the size of the main breaker or fuse. Many people are also under the mistaken impression that the total available service amperage is the total of the individual breakers or fuses in the service panel.

One way for a home inspector to help communicate the available amperage is to determine the ampacity of the lowest-rated or the weakest link of the following components:

• service supply;

• electric meter and socket;

• service entrance conductors;

• service disconnect; or

• distribution panel.

2 Likes

Thanks Ryan, the electric meter should not be on that list.

2 Likes

I stand corrected… I forgot it did talk about the small square meter boxes only being 100 amp or less.
I have come across those a few times and call it out if the disconnect is larger.

1 Like

So, I guess I need some clarification as I am not familiar with the inner workings of the meters. What happens if the meter is rated for 100 amps, but the service disconnect is 200 amps? Will the meter burn up, or do they typically have an internal OCPD?

I’m not sure either, but I would imagine a 100 amp meter probably has smaller overhead conductors that would also need to be upgraded.

1 Like

Possibly, but that is part of my question I guess. When the meter is rated lower than the main disconnect, it is obviously a limitation on the available amperage. If the meter has an internal OCPD, the service conductors aren’t really in any danger.

I dont think it does, but that is a good question, never thought about it either…

1 Like

Something to ponder…

Meter is rated ….
Main breaker is rated……
Service conductors are rated ……

They all need to be properly sized to operate without overload
Same goes for the branch circuit conductors and their individual overload protection (circuit breakers)

If you don’t know this , you need an experienced / knowledgeable licensed electrician to determine if there is a problem.

1 Like

Yes it is and whatever the POCO says to put in gets put in…at least around here.