2 layer roof warrantee

Originally Posted By: sbyrnes
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does having a second layer of shingles on your roof void the shingle warrantee?

All Corners Home Inspections, Inc

Serving Pasco, Hernando, N. Pinellas & N. Hillsborough counties

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Each manufacture has there own warranty limitations and installation instructions that would dictate warranty

Originally Posted By: rcooke

sbyrnes wrote:

Warrantee Guarantee. manufactures are like insurance companies here in Canada .
Give us your money and have a good day.
They are out for them selves never ( NEVER) the purchaser.
My opinion , Others might agree.

BE Happy Join NACHI.. Roy Cooke .. sr...... RHI

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Hi.

I have found by reading the warranty information on the roofing bundles, that most manufacturers will deduct five years on their product if installed on another roofing product.

Since I am a strong advocated to stripping old layers of roofing due to the new conforming to the old in very few years, I would tend to agree with the Manufacturer at this point.

In either case I would not like to be positioned to try to collect warranty monies from any Manufacturer, because it would be like fighting city hall.

Manufacturers are very strict on installation procedures and any deviation from their recommendations will void their responsibility, and if they can't find one, they will fabricate one.

Try fighting that, you loose. Your pocket book is not big enough and they know it.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

sbyrnes wrote:

On the first layer - YES!!! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Seriously though,

You need the manufacturer'r warantee to determine that. Most of the warantee's that I have read - No coverage. Warning do not go by the package marking and general statements of 25 year warantee. You must ask for the manufacturer's warrantee from the salesperson, office, or whatever. The majority of the time they are 3x8 little booklets....Did you know that most shingles are only warranted for up to 50mph winds!!! Popular IKO brand 3 tab shingles here in my area and sold at your local super lumber stores are only warranted for 50 mph winds.

icon_smile.gif

John, Roofing Manufacturers will not hold their full warranties on their product installed on another product.

For one, I would not guarantee it myself and the product dose not perform as it should on the improper substrate.

Thank you,

Marcel

Originally Posted By: mmorris1

From my experience, there will be no warranty if the roof is applied over another layer of roofing. Also, all roofing manufacturers I’ve dealt with will not offer a warranty of any kind unless the roof was done by a liscensed contractor (all the roofing contractors I know will strip the old first). Asphalt shingles are far less functionally adequate when installed in more than one layer.

Regards

John any comments?

Marcel

Originally Posted By: rcooke

I think double layer of shingles cuts the warrantee in half.

Lets see 50% of zip is I guess double ZIP.

Very few if any ever manage to get any help from the roofing manufacture.

ZIP =0

Roy Cooke sr … RHI… Be happy Join NACHI

Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: rgallahorn

I did not read the whole site, but here are a couple of links to roofing and warranties

http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF
http://www.inspect-ny.com/roof/shingles.html

Originally Posted By: rgallahorn

A couple of quotes from GAF

What Are The Chances Of Having A Problem With My New GAF Roof?

Based on our state-of-the-art manufacturing process, the odds of having a problem with a new GAF roof is about 1 in 1000! On the other hand, while serious problems with GAF roofing materials are rare, if you were to have a problem, it can be as expensive to fix as your roof originally cost. So while the risk of having a problem is low, the cost if you do have a serious problem can be high.

What About Problems With Installation?

GAF?s studies indicate that more than two-thirds of the problems that people experience with their new roofs are due to the contractor?s workmanship?not the roofing materials. This is an important distinction to keep in mind when deciding on warranty coverage.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

mcyr wrote:
![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

John any comments?

Marcel

Half Lap or rolled roofing. End of comment.

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

rgallahorn wrote:
A couple of quotes from GAF

What Are The Chances Of Having A Problem With My New GAF Roof?

Based on our state-of-the-art manufacturing process, the odds of having a problem with a new GAF roof is about 1 in 1000! On the other hand, while serious problems with GAF roofing materials are rare, if you were to have a problem, it can be as expensive to fix as your roof originally cost. So while the risk of having a problem is low, the cost if you do have a serious problem can be high.

I wonder who this was written by ? a politician ?

--
Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Typically if all else is installed according to manufactures specifications, proper venting and so forth, the second layers life span is typically reduced, and all of that is dependent on climate and exposure and other environmental factors.

I guess I was to honest in believing that a warranty was as good as gold.

Untrue, I guess, after reading the post on GAF roofing.

I guess Roy was right in his post, and obviously has been there.
Try collecting on the warranty, and the first thing that will come up is the installer. It was installed wrong. Try to defend this when the Contractor is no where to be found.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: sbyrnes

Quote:
The GAFMC Smart Choice limited warranty provides coverage against inherent manufacturing defects in the shingles regardless of their application. Even if your roofing system was not properly installed in accordance with GAFMC?s application instructions, the limited warranty will remain in effect against manufacturing defects.

However, the warranty does not cover any damages to the shingles or roofing system resulting from anything other than an inherent manufacturing defect.

It is a standard roofing practice to install shingles over the top of existing shingles. The limited warranty on the shingles affords the exact same coverage for a single or multi layer.

If you have any concerns or questions regarding the application of your roofing system, please contact our Technical services hotline at 1-800-766-3411.

Thank you for choosing GAFMC products, we appreciate your business.

--
All Corners Home Inspections, Inc
Serving Pasco, Hernando, N. Pinellas & N. Hillsborough counties

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Hi. Scott;

I am a pretty strong advocate on stripping old roofing before applying the new product.

The claim that GAF is willing to warranty this product on this situation of double layer not knowing the condition of the first layer, is not a logical deduction on their part.
I would be some paranoid to this type of warranty whatever they claim is warranted.

The new product, I don't care what it is or how good it is, will take the shape of the old within a couple of years.

Yes, the product looks like @#$%^t, but it did not fail in it's performance of the expected lifespan cycle.

Crap, that is what it is, and I would like someone to show me that a Manufacturer of such has actually come out and paid for replacement and labor of the such product installed over an unacceptable substrate.

I am not a business person, but no way would I ever go on the line for a product to this extreme.

I believe the key word here is product failure. It might not leak, but sure as hell looks like crap.

I would certainly contact a warranty specifications, before I double lay roof shingles on my house.

After all, the right way is to start from scratch so the product is installed like it was intended to. Do it the right way or take the highway is my motto.

Marcel