200 Amp Cutler Hammer Panel

200 Amp Cutler Hammer Panel.

New Construction. New Installation.

Am I seeing that correctly (had a little wine tonight) - is that a 100 amp breaker installed on that box???

Also, hope you wore safety gloves and rubber shoes.

Main Breaker is 200 Amp

I can’t see anything wrong, looks nicely organized for a new construction, given to the lower bidder electrician.

tom

P.S. Seeing GEC going through those 1/4" with no clamps, req’d per 315.5C, is weird, but I’m sure if I make an issue out of it, Paul will come and beat me. :wink:

Why would you possibly say that?

315.5(C)??? No such Art./section. At least in '02 or '05.

I just wonder why guys use 30/40 panels when space is not limited.

We have licensing requirements(even none required) that changes from city boundry to city boundry here. So sometimes you see stuff here and there, less than desirable looking in panels, and it’s simply getting what you(a builder) paid for. So this panel looks nicely organized.

dislexia? 5’s and 2’s, 4’s and 7’s. I’ll try this again: 312.5(C) No change bar in my 05, so must be the same in 02.

tom

Looks like somebody took a little pride in doing a nice job instead of a rush job.

Who knows Speedy…probably was a contractors pack and they saved a few bucks on the panel possibly.

Thomas…I wont beat ya…i just dont care anymore…lol…no matter what i say I will get debated…even if I am right so…screw it…lol

but I will say…the lowest bid is not always the sloppy work…or the neat work…all depends on the pride of the electrician over cost in my book.

Yes, very true. This is why I tell people, you want estimates to see if a trades-person fits your budget, but you want references and examples of work to see if the trades-person cares about what they are doing.

Example, I help build homes as a volunteer with Habitat For Humanity. I was happy to see that HFH uses trusses at 16"OC even though they are rated up to 24"OC. Less wavy ceilings in the future. Well went into a home half-mill plus to hang some ceiling fans. When I was in the attic routing new lines, I noticed the bare minimum code that was met: truss spacing, insulation, etc. Then when Opened boxes, I found electricians splicing through switches(back stabbed and terminal ed) to save a wire nut. In this example, you can see sometimes just caring is what counts and puts minimum work into excellent work.

Still a nice looking panel. One thing I have, has anyone been ‘commented’ on by a AHJ about wires bundled so tightly? Looks nice though.

tom

Are the ground wires in twisted bundles under one lug?

I believe they are, so that would not comply with the instructions. They may permit more than one of the same size equipment grounding conductor under each individual termination, unlike one only grounded neutral wire per terminal.

Was that what the original poster was looking for?

The twisted ground wires was the focus of the original post.

Opinions vary by Electricians and Code Inspectors in this area with regard to this type installation.

I saw the twisted stuff, that’s ok, and it only looks like only TWO egc’s per terminal screw. I believe (don’t have a CH sheet with me), that up to two ‘grounds’ per terminal screw is ok.

As for the twisting, if I have to remove a circuit, sure I would cuss out the previous electrician, but the odds of that are very limited.

tom

The Cutler-Hammer CH panels are my normal brand, and they permit two ECG’s of the same size under one terminal screw. This is a Cutler-Hammer BR panel, so I don’t rightly know. If I had to guess, I’d say that they are the same. The twists aggrivate me, but it sure does make for a neat panel. As long as none of these terminal screws has three or more ECG’s under it, it’s a nice job. I know the installer spent a little extra time on this one. My personal work is a more of a blend of speed and neatness, which is necessarily required to maintain profitability.