4.0 Earthquake hits Illinois near Sycamore - 50 miles west of CHICAGO

Ok, that doesn’t seem like much, but i was wondering , at what point
(or Richter scale number?) do structures in the area suffer structural changes?

I am sure there are multiple variables, such as soil type, type of foundation, age, etc. Reports are saying it was felt from Wisconsin to Tennessee.

Another question is: does this mean that a home we previously inspected may now have a structural issue? That must change liability somehow.

How will this effect Radon levels?
So i’m sure there was a fault line some where in the area, and i’m thinking there will be more elevated levels or Radon found there because of the geological changes. Opening more cracks in a foundation or floor?

(western suburbs of Chicago-land are very often found to have higher levels) But so far it is unknown how an earthquake will effect radon levels.

What are your thoughts and comments on this?

I felt the tremor this morning. Do I need a radon test Joe?:wink:

Good questions etc Joe.

Will prolly cause Perma Seal dorks and other inside system co`s some call backs,add to Permas 75 complaints.

Am in MI,didnt feel a thing but i was pretty busy scratchin my sack and azz.

Everything will depend on the type of earthquake. The movement of the earth is caused by elastic type waves. They could be the type that move through the rock (slow (S) or fast § ) or are surface waves ( Love or Rayleigh).

Love waves do the most damage to foundations due to the horizontal movement. These earth actually move at a right angle to the direction of the wave. Real shakers…

Once the type of earthquake and waves are determined, that will give you more information on how to proceed.

This brings back memories of my college days. My major was Geology with emphasis on earthquakes. Now where are my brownies… :wink:

yes. one for your house and one for the dog house :mrgreen:

Joe, good to see you thinking… yes, possibly, to your questions. I lived in L.A. for ten years. One gets used to the small one’s pretty quick. Usually need to be close to a 3.5 to notice it. Construction is definately different there. In LA, I wouldn’t be concerned until 5.0… in Chicago, I would look around at 4.0…

This could be a good ‘Marketing’ oppourtunity for follow-up inspections, or a really good subject for a newsletter.

JMHO

Jeff

I read that there were calls when this happened as far away as Madison. Any truth to that? Weird to say the least. “The sky is falling”:wink:

A 4.0 wouldn’t even wake us up here in CA :mrgreen: - just kidding.

A structure can suffer damage from much less. Especially older building that weren’t designed with earthquakes in mind. . .

There was no damage and it was downgraded to 3.8 from original report of 4.3.
The state seems to get them every year.

We do live in a state with the largest fault line in the country including California.

How much you would have felt it if at all depends on your construction.

You know, my personal belief is leaning that way as well. I’ll bet the reports of no damage are a bit premature, and who decides that? The media?

hi Bob, i remember we had one at 5 in 2008. I don’t know, i just have to factor in the last few bad winters and age and i am worried that we are gonna see more cracks.