Earthquake!!

We just had a pretty decent sized earthquake in So Cal. So far they are saying it was a 5.6. Hopefully not a foreshock. :shock:

Yeah, I just got a text msg from my son. Said he’s OK and will check in later when he can. News reports now say 5.8…pretty good jolt!

Yup just saw the 5.8 update. Doesn’t sound like there’s any major damage but the phone systems are down in some areas. But my DSL is working! :smiley:

Brother lives in SCal.

Be careful out there.

Doesn’t look like there’s any injuries. Some cell service is down too.

I hope Russel Ray didnt spill his Margarita :mrgreen:

Hahaha!

I was in the middle of giving my summary, when the Realtor covered her head and ran out of the house - screaming. I’m just happy I wasn’t still in the crawl space. . .

If you have an earthquake after you have done the home inspection, does that make the inspection null and void? We kinda figure after a major hurricane all bets are off, especially on roofs and off grade houses.

Hope everyones O.K., how long did it last?

That would depend on many factors, number one being the severity of the quake in the area of the inspection.

In this case, I had just finished explaining the potential consequences to the fireplace structure in the event of an earthquake, so I took a second look before I left the property.

15 or 20 seconds. . .

Now that’s funny :mrgreen:

Maybe we should put something about natural distasters in our contracts :slight_smile: I’ve been through a few earthquakes. One time I was up in about 20 odd stories on a beach. The entire building swayed heavily. I thought well time to meet my maker. Hope to never encounter that again EVER.

Bill :slight_smile:

I went through one in California back in 1984 when I was stationed at Moffit Field (San Jose area) going to retraining for P3. I was changing platforms so they sent me there prior to going to Hawaii. I was sitting in a Weapons Systems Trainer when it started shaking like hell. I turned to the student next to me and remarked, Damn, this sure is realistic, I didn’t think these trainers simulated actual flight. About 3 seconds later one of the instructors came screaming through the trainer to tell us to get out. This trainer was located inside one of the huge old Blimp hangers there. Up on the third deck it was really rocking and rolling. They canceled classes for the rest of the day so we went to the Club for numerous adult beverages.

Depending on where you’re located (what type of ground your own, where in the valley you are) you could have felt it for up to 40 seconds. The actual quake itself only lasted 3 seconds. Waves are amazing :wink:

You’re only about 20 miles from the epicenter of this one. I was in Chatsworth, about 60 miles out. It was a nice roller - nothing like the jackhammer of the 1994 Northridge Quake.

Yeah I was close to this one to feel about 3 of the after shocks. I remember the Northride quake and the Big Bear quake, I was living in Crestline at the time, the bed turned 90 degrees.

It definitely does bring up an interesting question about disclaiming natural disasters making the report void. I’m sure those in tornado and hurricane country are more prone to problems.

Well, if a house gets racked in a hurricane it will affect everything in the home; roof, structure, plumbing joints, you name it. I saw for myself roof sheathing sheets that had physically moved half an inch, so much so all the H clips had fallen out and were lying in the insulation below in the attic. Would not have believed it if had not seen it myself. They were all on the windward side facing the direction the winds were coming from in an area where the eye of Ivan came ashore in 2004. Lots of water was blown up into the soffit vents and left stains in the ceilings inside exactly where the vents were outside. Lots of weird off the wall things like that. Light fixtures full of water, doors that would no longer close, etc. not to mention lots of big nice boats up in tops of large oak trees.

Relax guys! I understand it was just Rosey O’Donnell rolling off the couch. :shock: