50 Gal. 10-Year Hybrid High Efficiency Smart Tank Electric Water Heater

IMO… it’s all about determining Value vs Cost vs Warranty…

I’ve seen high dollar units fail in less than two years, and economy models last 40 years (and still going).

The only real consistency I see is with actual Commercial Grade units.

It’s all a risky gamble nowadays!!

1 Like

You’re welcome :+1:

1 Like

Would you install one of these hybrids in your home?

As to your original query regarding the noise level, it’s a non-issue in my home. That’s the beauty of having a basement.

As to purchasing one of these units (designed for 3-5 people), sure, but is not practical for my situation as an empty nester. I deem it as overkill, so no, prolly not.

1 Like

I have one, and have specified or installed several. They’re like a chest freezer or some simple older refrigerator. It’s noticed in the garage, not at all one room away. My fridge makes various different sounds, the HPWH just makes one sound.

I prefer the outdoor split system type such as the SanCO2, but it’s pricey.

For the single unit ones like you pictured, consider ducting the intake or exhaust to the outside, depending on your climate. It’s set up for ducting.

The unit takes in air at ambient, exhausts cool air. Decide if you want a refrigerated garage… or free A/C for the birdies. With the ducting you can control that heat flow and enhance the effect. If you’re really clever you might even have a reversible duct so in summer you’re cooling the space, and in winter you’re not robbing your main furnace heat.

You can set back these systems also, even with a remote switch, so make sure it does not run in heat pump mode when your working out if to raise 'em or hold 'em.

I use this with a ACT D’Mand hot water recirculation system (there are several versions of this out there, each with tradeoffs). Never with a 24/7 recirculation system – too many downsides.

If your water heater turns out to be undersized and you want to run in Efficiency mode all the time, get an EEMax tank booster. When, and only when, the tank exit temperature is too low it kicks in and boosts a few degrees to give you 120F (or whatever) water.

The EEMax is advertises as adding 20% to any water heater… a 100 gallon becomes equivalent to a 120 gallon. In my experience it does even better than that. Heat pump water heaters are a bit slow in efficiency mode, so the EEMax is a good pair.

This is all so true… everything now days is so cheaply made. Savings gained in efficiency are quickly lost when a part fails and these new units seems pretty complex. It seems every new appliance I buy these days has a bunch of new “features” but breaks in 1/4 the time. I’d be happy with a washing machine that had two (mechanical) buttons, a dryer with cool/warm/hot and a fridge/freezer with two doors and nothing else. For some reason “we” are always talked into some great life-changing feature on an appliance and the only way it changes my life is aggravation and expense!

3 Likes

I got a deal today.
I found a guy the buys overstock or what ever from big box stores.
And I got this band new in the box never open for $620.
From Home depot it would have cost me $1936.42 .
I’m happy . Now! all in need to get it done is the Grundfos UP15-10SU7P TLC 3/4 in. NPT 115-Volt Comfort Hot Water Recirculation Pump

ProTerra 50 Gal. 10-Year Hybrid High Efficiency Smart Tank Electric Water Heater with Leak Detection & Auto Shutoff

1 Like

Good Luck, :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For the deal I got for it I can’t lose

I don’t sell Rheems. Bradford White, State and AO Smith. The big box appliances are not built like the appliances purchased from the supply house.

What do deem as the best for the money spent?

Because I do my research and all my deals always come through as I expected

I would like for you to show me some documentation to prove that .

Didn’t reply to you Roy. I was asking Martin on his opinion, not yours.

Be nice I heard sarcasm in your reply.

This is an easy one Roy. Look at the model number of the water heater that you have purchased from the big box store. Call a local plumbing supply house and ask for stock information or price information on the same model number.

Manufacturers will produce water heaters (or other plumbing fixtures) for the big box stores that cannot be found in the supply house. Often these fixtures are of lower quality than what is being sold to the professional contractors.

The key takeaway is you’ll buy something from Lowe’s or Home Depot that says “made exclusively for……”.

Bottom line keep your made in Mexico Rheem water heater.

2 Likes

Yup. Rheem went to hell when they sold to the Japanese in the late 80’s, then shut down operations in Chicago in the early 90’s and moved it to Mexico!! (I grew up in Chicago a few miles from the Rheem plant). It is still a sore spot with many Chicagoans to this day!

1 Like

AO Smith water heater, made in Mexico.

1 Like

Yup Signature Series made for Lowes or Home Depot. Made in Mexico.

That doesn’t bother me.