A/C shut off

Hi all,

Once again your electrical help is needed/appreciated. This is the shut off area for the A/C unit on this house in these pics. Notice the “on off” is just a plastic knob and not a real switch? Have you ever seen one like this? The A/C was hooked to it. Not sure what to make of it.

Thanks,

100_4448 (Small).JPG

100_4449 (Small).JPG

It’s a non fused disconnect.

It’s a pullout disconnect. That’s the exact one I use. Pull that out and put it in upside down, and it will be in the “OFF” position.

Very common. It is a fusible air conditioning disconnect—pullout.

Here is a link for you. http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/173/html/sections/01/17301019.html

Yup. Absolutely typical. I also use the same ones.

A good idea would be to go to one of the home centers and go into the Electrical supply area and familiarize yourself with all the different kinds of boxes, switches, disconnects, electrical components,etc. you are going to run across in your HI career. As new things come out it is always a good idea for all of us to keep abreast of what is out there. A couple of excellent publications to help you learn along the way are: "Electrical Inspections of Existing Dwellings by Douglas Hansen, Redwood Kardon and Mike Casey (available thru ITA, item #B132) and a book by Rex Cauldwell, “Inspecting a House”. Both are worth their weight in gold. They show the other side of the business, the good, the bad and the ugly of what you will really see in the real world. Happy hunting.

Greg -

Dougs got a real good suggestion. We all gotta start somewhere. Fortunately this one is an easy one. Have you had classroom HI Training? One of the things I did a few years back was figure out where I was light and then signed up in various classes from manufacturers, dealers, vo-tech’s, junior colleges, etc in things like HVAC, electrical, codes, wood shakes, etc.

Good Luck.

Take as many classes and educational seminars that you can in your area, sometimes your local electrical supply houses have classes as well. Walking the isles at Home Depot and Lowes can also assist in learning the different items as products change and evolve at a fast rate.

And yes…typical pull out disconnect…use them all the time.

I went the route of Vo-tech after completing HI training. I was fortunate in that this particular school did a ton of hands on training in the field plus we built a “career house” and other big construction projects every year. Literally built a home (to sell) from the footing to the ridge vents. I took everything they had to offer in building trades. You would be surprised at how little the training costs this way. Most of the Vo-tech schools offer night classes if all you want is the theory with some hands on. I enjoyed the classes, which generates a lot of jobs for me once others found out I was a HI. Someone always knows someone looking for a home. Plus you end up certified by your State as the curriculum has to meet the State requirements.