A thought about Real Estate Agents

Originally Posted By: Webmaster
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Would it help if someone drafted a document explaining PA’s laws, and demonstrating NACHI’s compliance with those laws? It would be something you can show agents who think that you have to be a member of ASHI to be compliant.

Just a thought,

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://knz0nIBVazx71UPnDHxF4AFBoHj.html)

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Hello Chris,

Just another thought about real estate agents and NACHI member compliance.

IMHO, it is mostly those older agents that have been around for decades that have come to think of ASHI as being made in "God's" likeness. Many of the "newer" agents could really care less which organization they belong as long as they are compliant with the law.

Anyway, I think a mass mailing from NACHI informing agents of our compliance with the law is a great idea. Probably would be a good idea to follow up those mailings with phone conversations to office managers and brokers. Let them know we are there to help them.

Email is always a low cost alternative, if you have the patience to create a database of addresses. Just a note before you take on this venture, email addresses are constantly changing with agents making moves and changing ISP's.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

For NACHI to be viewed as more than a PA org, we must broadcast our message far and wide. I suggest e-mails to the major RE offices on a state-by-state basis. Perhaps Chris knows of a RE database where a carefully crafted introductory e-mail could be aimed. Follow-up each month with a newslatter of sorts, rather than the printed version new members get.

Let's get the RE agent ask if their inspectors are NACHI members, or at least make them concious of the fact that we're out there. This is also a good way to attract new members. Chris, any ideas? What about our member list (is it still 1800 or so?). Why not contact them as well. They can help spread the word about us to the RE offices they already deal with.
Let me know how I can help.

Joe Farsetta ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif) ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

Originally Posted By: Tommy

I have the same problems down here in VA. All the agents know is ASHI… so, I became one of them… I joined the local Realtors Association as an affiliate member. Now they see my company, and NACHI together in the local realtors newsletter. Hopefully this will help the phone start ringing.

Originally Posted By: Lyle Dady

Hi everyone! I am a new NACHI member and fairly new to the home inspection buisness.

This discussion format is realy great and is just one of the reasons I chose to join NACHI.

I hope my long winded questions don’t get me kicked out or put everyone to sleep.

After a recent presentation at the leading Real Estate office in Iowa I was given two letters that the agents give to prospective buyers or selers.

I have been told that this company has a specific contract or agreement with one of the home inspection franchices and that most agents will use that company.

I'm a little hard headed and am realy trying to break into this market but I am not sure how to deal with some of what was in the buyers and sellers letters about home inspectors.

The following are some of what the letters contain.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) The inspection will take from 1-2 hours, depending on the size and condition of the house. It takes time to do a thorough inspection, and a thourough inspection is good buisness for all parties involved.

The only part of this satement I have trouble with is the 1-2 hour statement. I may be slowing down, just turned 50, but I just don't think I can do a quality inspection in that time frame.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) The inspections should be done by a qualified ASHI inspector to insure that certain written guidelines are followed.

I am not an ASHI member at this time and for the time being do not intend to join.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) The purchase agreement between the buyers and sellers typically contains the following understanding: The buyer may have a home inspection performed to determine if there are any Safety or MAJOR mechanical, electrical, plumbing or other MAJOR material deficiencies in the home. The key words are SAFETY and MAJOR. A Major material deficiency is defined in the Greater Des Moines Market as an item that will cost (in the OPINION of the inspector) MORE THAN $500.00 TO REPAIR OR REPLACE.

While I understand the company wanting to inform the customer is seems that what they are realy doing is attempting to control what and how the the inspection process is done.

Any one else running into this sort of thing and if so any thoughts on how to deal with them?

Thanks
Lyle

Hello Lyle,

In response to your post. Not all the agents will use that inspection company for many reasons. I know my wife is an agent. There are certain people you like and they will like you this is a given. The delima you are facing is waiting to find out which ones do and which ones don't. The only real advise that anyone can give is wait it out.

As for the ASHI thing, you should check in your area to make sure you are compliant with you state law's to perform inspections. Most states recognize ASHI as one of the associations to which you can belong, most do not require that you belong. If you are compliant with your state laws make sure that all the agents in that office know you are compliant by marketing to them. Such as brochures, business cards and price lists.

Don't worry too much about the time frame. With my new software it takes me anywhere from 2 to 3 1/2 hours to do an inspection and I am only thirty-ish. After I am used to the software it should take roughly 2 to 2 1/2 hours assuming they want the house and a termite.

Hope this helps!

Joe Myers

The ASHI thing is pure bull. If they wanted to make it an even playing field, they would put in to make sure the inspector has the proper credentials, such as having passed the NHIE, NIE, or other recognized competency exam. More than that is nonsensical.

Some real estate offices in the area won't give you the time of day unless you advertise in their monthly listing book. Coldwell Banker is a little more subtle with their Concierge Program. With that, 10% of the inspection cost goes back to CB, for advertising, promotions, etc. I can actually live with this program, as my prices get adjusted accordingly. If my name doesn't get spread around, I get no referrals thru them. If no referrals, no 10%. Costs me nothing. Two od the largest agencies in the county want $400 per month in advertising as a minimum, before they'll even let you put your card or brochure in their offices...

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Tommy

Joe… Isn’t the 10% rebate a violation of our Code of Conduct? I’m all for doing whatever it takes to get in but I haven’t used this concept in fear of a violation icon_question.gif

From our Code of Conduct…

"Members shall not offer compensation money to the owner of the inspected property, the broker, or agent."

You make an interesting point, I dont believe it is. The 10% is the cost of their advertising, promotions, etc. It doesn't go into anyones pocket directly. We'll deferr this one to Nick...

Oh, Nick... what do you ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) think?

Technically speaking…this is not against the code of conduct becuase you are usually not paying the agent you are paying the agency for the advertising. Most of them set these up as seperate entities because of the liability involved with association of referrals. Either way you are paying for advertising and you can spend your advertising dollars anywhere or anyway you choose.

IMHO....I will never pay anyone for this type of service. Mostly because I already have the advertising material expense, why would I want to add to that expense even if I don't have to pay until they actually give me something. It sounds more like trying to take a short cut in school on a test...you will always lose. The choice is yours!

Hope this helps!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jremas

deleted

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Century 21, Coldwell Banker, and ERA are all owned by the same company: Cendant. In FL Attorney General stopped them from requiring service providers to advertise on their web-site if they want business. Buyers rely on agents to point them to the best inspectors, not the ones that pay the real estate agency for advertising space.

Nick,

You're right regarding Coldwell Banker. They no longer have HIs as a part of their concierge program, they require only proof of E&O coverage, and there is no cost associated with being put on their approved vendor list. This is BRAND NEW...

Joe F

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

NACHI members deserve some credit for this. Several NACHI memebers wrote letters to get this change. Nice job guys.

Is this strictly in New York State? I am unaware of an approved vendor list for any real estate companies.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

deleted

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598