A Ventless Gas Fireplace Doesn’t Belong in Your Home

Combustion products need to be vented to the outside.

First of all, let’s call it what it really is. The industry likes the term “vent-free” when talking about gas fireplaces that keep all the exhaust gases in your home. I prefer the term “ventless” or, even better, “unvented.” Some people suggest “room-vented” or “lung-vented.”

Not a huge deal, but the ventless gas industry wants you to feel that you’re being liberated of a burden by not having an exhaust vent. I think it’s important for people to know that they’re actually missing something important when they go with a ventless gas appliance.

The rest of the story…

I agree not a good thing .

Not allowed in many areas including Canada .

I once did an inspection for a guy who had installed thee or four of those throughout his house and he bragged to me during the inspection about how he could heat his whole house with them for half the cost of his furnace. He did this by using his A/C air handler in the attic and the furnace blower in the basement. The basement had a dehumidifier but the problem with his theory was that the attic unit had all kinds of leakage. When I stepped through the scuttle into the attic, it felt like entering a greenhouse. I had come on the day when all the frost buildup from weeks of pumping moist combustion air into his attic was in the process of melting. It was literally raining from the nail tips and the mold was on everything. But he thought he had HVAC figured out. :slight_smile:

That use to be called “American Ingenuity”. Let’s call it “Bubba Ingenuity”.

Keep this stuff coming.

There is no fixing stupidity.

They are not meant to serve as the primary heat source.

IMHO, they are safer than a gas range and oven when used according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

The articles decrying their use are long on emotion and usually devoid of useful facts.

Throw in some anecdotal stories and a links to some scare sites and let the controversy begin.

If you don’t want one. Fine.

The devices which by law must be equipped with an oxygen depletion sensor that shuts the unit down if need be have an extremely good track record.

When I come across them I inform my clients not scare them.

What are you blabbing about?

There was moisture in the attic because of the setup. I never questioned their safety. Did my post say anything about oxygen? Nope.

Just Larson, being Larson.

If you can’t bother to read, why should I respond?

I clearly stated my position.

It was not about your post in particular.

I don’t read Roy L. posts so please don’t take offense where none was intended.

Improper use of the devices results in just what you encountered.

I just inform my clients to read the fine print of the instructions and leave it up to them. I still think it is not a good idea.

I agree with you.

I just tell my clients that in the hands of the average home owner theses units cause more headaches than they solve and finding a different heat source would be preferred.

Based on what?

They are never interned as a primary heat source.

Did you just call your client STUPID?


A company called Fireplace Creations by BMC](http://www.fireplacecreationsbybmc.com/fireplaces.php), which sells gas fireplaces, writes on their website, [FONT=OpenSans]"[/FONT]After doing research, we decided we would never put a vent-free (room vented) appliance into our home. Because of this decision, we didn’t believe it would be right to sell them to our customers."
A fellow who calls himself The Gasman on Epinions.com](http://www.epinions.com/user-the_gas_man) writes, [FONT=OpenSans]“Choose a vented space heater or gas fireplace, and prove to our future generations that we have indeed learned something from our cave dwelling ancestors.” His article in the Choose a Space Heater section, is titled Is Choosing A Vent-Free Gas Fireplace Stupid or Foolish?.. You Decide.](http://www.epinions.com/content_3647578244)[/FONT]
Letters From Vent-Free Gas Fireplace Owners

Anecdotal stories are not evidence of causaton.:roll:

Finding supporting junk for almost any opinion is not hard these days.

Gasman is particularly biased.:roll:

They stink, they dump unnecessary moisture in the air, most of them are a burn hazard for children, they often produce soot due to flame interference, the moisture they produce stains the walls and ceiling as it condensates and collects dust and dirt, moisture condensates on windows and doors and damages finished and grows mold… Based on 10 years of personal experience having inspected hundreds of homes with them installed.

And often they are the primary heat source for the rooms they are installed in around here.

I don’t know what you are referring to when you talk about calling your clients stupid. I don’t do that as it’s unprofessional.

Every fire place is a burn hazard.

The moisture is the only real issue and following the instructions is warranted.

A properly adjusted unit emits nothing but CO2 and water vapor.

They have had mandatory Oxygen depletion sensor for years which prevents operation of the unit if need be.

And again, they are never meant for as a primary heat source. NEVER.

If you treat your clients as if they are not too bright and can’t follow instructions, what would you infer?

I agree, everything is safer when properly maintained, operated and monitored under ideal conditions. I look forward to heaven too. :slight_smile: I still don’t know why you are talking about treating your clients as if they are not bright, that’s not professional at all. I try to educate mine in the short time I have and treat them all with respect. YMMV

Camron, do you read what you right?

Maybe you need to find smarter clients.

Ha, at least as much as you. :):razz:

My clients are quite intelligent, why would you attempt to insult them publicly? That’s very unprofessional.

I’m not, you did with your silly advice.

Cam ! Mike
Agree to disagree and leave it at that.