AC Disconnect Located 1" above the ground

Hi Guys So I have this AC Disconnect located just 1" above the ground. It is mounted on the condenser relatively secure. Good conduit connections.

This just feels like it should be mounted higher to me. I can’t find any code that says it should be. I was hoping to get a second opinion.

Home is in NE Ohio, Manufactured home 1996 on a basement foundation. We do get accumulation of snow here.

Write it up just like you posted here.
These panels require access and can’t be if they are frozen to the ground.

You don’t need a Code reference or an Installation guide.
So is this a ‘defect’ or a ‘recommendation’? Your a visual inspector. Do you see the dirt and water markes on the cover? Document and report on that.

Not only should it be higher, it should not be on the outdoor coil like that. For example, when the coil is to be cleaned, you will be watering down the disconnect under water pressure. Do you have a zoomed out picture of the area where the unit is installed? this is extremely atypical location for the service disconnect box.

Where are 99.9% of disconnects located on commercial rooftop equipment?

More ‘opinion’ vs. fact.

This is not a commercial rooftop! I know it’s hard for you, but try to stay on topic! The comment was “in the context”.

1 Like

Thanks David, that seems like a sensible and simple way to handle it.

IMO the problem is that the disconnect may be the blocking of the coil not the height. Who’s going to run this unit if there is snow on the ground?

Could be a Heat Pump, just saying.

1 Like

I thought about that but the thread title does say AC disconnect.

I would call it out as inadequate ground clearance not only because of snow but also to prevent damage during yard maintenance.

What does that have to do with anything?

Heat Pumps run in the winter, and they make a lot of ice on the ground under them when they defrost. That would freeze this disconnect to the ground!

Um where does it say that it’s a heat pump? The title of the thread clearly states that it’s an AC disconnect.

You’ll find most people (including HI’s ) simple use AC to describe them both.

It could be a heat pump but the poster hasn’t clarified what it is. Around here no one uses heat pumps.

Heat pumps have outdoor coils, not condensers. Terminology is important, I bet it’s a straight AC unit. Regardless, the mounting location of that disconnect box is amateur at best. Raise it up and mount it away from removable panels or put it on the adjacent wall, where it belongs (because it makes more sense!).

1 Like

Just to clear it up, not a heat pump although I would have the same concern either way. Doesn’t matter if the unit is running or not. The fact is that 120 or 240 volt potential is in the disconnect box even with the fuses or switch flipped off. And in my opinion (and any electrician worth his salt) it shouldn’t be 1" from the dirt.
I’ve seen professionally installed rooftop units that had some unistrut bolted to the side of the condenser then the disconnect was installed on that, up high.
It would be incredibly easy for this box to become saturated inside by a multitude of different weather events that happen up here. Not to mention how accessible the box is to young kids playing in the backyard.

I just wrote it up as: “lack of giving a shit” correction and further evaluation by someone who actually gives a shit is recommended.

Seriously though guys I really appreciate all your input, always helpful and thought-provoking.

Seeing my post was removed by the NACHI PC Nazi’s because of crybabies…

If you can put a disconnect on an RTU, why not any other equipment residential or otherwise?
I always post links to the actual facts, how about you showing us where you can’t mount the disconnect on the equipment and you and I will both learn something rather than assuming your opinion is relative.

BTW: this is what my post was removed for calling you (and you say I can’t read and stay on tract)…

dum bass

It can be, I never said it cannot be. Read what I wrote slowly. I stand behind everything I put in this thread. You just want to mix, twist, and redirect just so you come out on top. Try to participate and help instead, you have a wealth of knowledge to share but sometimes you just post silly stuff and I haven’t figured out why, yet.

PS: I had nothing to do with your post being removed in case you wanted to assume otherwise. I did see and read it, however. It wasn’t worth a reply, so I never did.

2 Likes

Here’s the code reference from the NEC 2008-2020 regarding AC disconnect location:
440.14 Location. Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be
permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.

Other than that, it doesn’t seem to reference anything about the height.

Not sure if this was helpful to you or not.

1 Like