Accordion Storm Shutters

Does anyone know if these storm shutters are rated? There isn’t any label on the shutters.

IMG.jpg

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

You need the paperwork

No label not sticker no ratey :frowning:

You will need the paperwork. Those appear to be Rolladen shutters…hopefully, you can get the paperwork.

Just for conversation…
Unless they are labeled in some way numbered, named, etc… I personally would not provide the NOA given. I would though also accept it from the company who installed the shutters if they wrote a letter and signed and notarized it stating that they installed these shutters at the location where and when. If given by the client by email I would save the email and submit it. I would then accept it but keep the email showing where I got the info from.

Basically i am saying I would not “guess” what they were if I could not document it by something on the shutters but would accept it as someones paperwork. I would just be able to prove that they gave it to me in case fraud was ever brought up. For sure it would not be me accused.

Just my 2 cents. I am interested in you others guys opinions who or who’s company performs a lot of insurance inspections. how would you all handle it.

You have to remember that just submitting the NOA or FL Approval sheets will NOT be enough documentation to support what you think is installed. It must be backed up by other docs (pd invoices, permits, etc.), or labels that tie the approval to the actual product present.

Brad,

I disagree pd invoices, permits, etc. generally are no good for anything. Noa’s and stickers , etchings, labels seem to ALWAYS work. In my opinion. I provide what seems to have become the required proof as proof and never offer pd invoices, permits, etc. and have never been asked to.

Works for me consistently. Thank you for giving your experiences and what works for you.

I guess it all boils down to the underwriter one gets.

Today I had a 87 home reroofed in 09 or thereabouts passed inspection but I could not find any 8D shiners. This was a 4 plex and I went into as many units as the client could get me into which was 2. By code the roofer should have renailed with 8D’s but he was either really, really good or did not do it. I do not think he was really really good because I saw signs of old deck rot in 2 different units. Wood type mushroom / fungus type rot growth and a flat out rotted area around a vent stack. Both areas dry suggesting that they were not currently leaking but A good roofer would have replaced the decking in those areas instead of just putting new shingles over it so I did not feel confident guessing / hoping there were 8D nails somewhere. I did tell client if he got a roof deck re-nailing affidavit stating that the said roof was redone according to answer C I would modify the report and put the letter in the report as the only proof I had of roof deck attachment.

What do you all do on a roof that was redone and passed but you only see 6D shinners? I looked hard.

Well, you are wrong. Etchings alone are not enough (doesn’t verify the whole unit), and you are just asking for a reinspection. Permits are the big thing that will get approved, if the description includes the approval #'s or even says IMPACT. The pd invoice’s will usually list the products installed hopefully, and then you can look up the approval for that product and submit both with the report. Labels are helpful if you know what is means, but permit descriptions are the easiest. There are other ways, but I will not let out all my secrets…

I will agree to disagree and I have more than a fe thousand under my belt. Then again thats why we are are here to here what works for others and to tell what works for us.

That alone puts us above most. To each his own. I have yet to have a reinspection complaint.

There have been things that have changed with the new forms that I would do differently but I NEVER HAVE ISSUES WITH UNDERWRITERS.

On a reroof, if I don’t see a shiner (and I do look all over), I pretty much don’t give the credit. I know roofer’s lie on the affidavit. They don’t go back and remove the shiners, and I know nobody is THAT good.

I have actually seen and measured and photographed a place where it was obvious that a shiner had been removed. “Sometimes” they do what is right.

What it boils down to me is I try my best to stick to the wording on the form and I always want to have a reason for marking what I mark and I always try to be consistent that way if my honesty is ever called into question I can say and show by previous reports that that was my standard way of doing things.

It is a messed up system that will never be right but they should rely on professionals opinions like every other business does and not photographic “proof” that does not mean a damn thing and is easily faked by those who do not care and are looking for the fast buck and as soon as a underwriter sees the pict they think they should insta pass regardless of weather it is accurate or not.

Have submitted them with only stamps ,decals etc. Hard pressed to find anyone who saves documents for anything. Never had a homeowner or agent rip me over it.

Thanks to all for the great input!

If the building department tells them to, yes, they do remove the missed nails.

There are other areas you can look to get the nail length. Instead of submitting pictures of a blatant code and installation violation.

Mr. Foley, I wasn’t suggesting you use that noa, just that, that is one of the documents you will need. You will also need a sticker on the shutter with the noa numbers, permits, invoices, etc…,in order to back up the credit.

Those may have been made by Rolladen, but, sold to another company, which may make obtaining the necessary documentation hard to get. I ask my clients to have any and all documentation present at the inspection.

With no documentation I usually just check off letter “N” and move on.

If the homeowner spends a lot of money on shutters they won’t just let it go.
They want that little credit. If they have no documentation at the very least I get something off of the product. Then it’s up to the carrier to kick it out and the burden back on the homeowner. Sometimes you just have to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks.

It is why I tell them before hand to get the documentation. Without it, I can’t mark the form the way they want. It avoids problems.

I got a call yesterday from someone who had an inspector mark all openings protected, but no proof for the shutters. Homeowner got them from FaithFarm and installed them himself. Got re-inspected and lost the credit.

In the hurricane zone, it isn’t a little credit. It is all or noting. I have a client who just installed new sliding glass doors to get all opening protection. It was a thousand dollar difference in his premium.

I agree with you but sometimes people are just not document savers. Had a guy the other day with a week old roof and had trashed all the paper work with it. Had to call the building dept for the date. I told him he needs to save all that stuff and he just laughed.

On the other side of that, I did an inspection last week and there was no sticker for the front door. The homeowner had the permit, the invoice, and the booklet that came with the door. I looked up the door, got the NOA, and all was done at the inspection. I have called the installer at the inspection if their sticker was on a garage door, to get the information on occasion as well.

Both the client and seller appreciate the extra effort. In some instances, the difference in not getting insurance may blow the deal. It has happened before. Although I don’t solicit Realtors, several have thanked me for saving their deal.

If the property has several unlabeled or non-rated devices, there is a good chance that at least one opening is not protected at all. Very rare I end up with a final rating of “N”.