Advertising question

Originally Posted By: Russell Stephens
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Do any of you advertise in publications like the independent classified papers? if so what kind of response do you receive with those type of ad’s?

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hi Russell,

Have you ever read Guerrilla Marketing? It is a great book and well worth the expense. You will find a lot of your marketing answers in there.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: mbailey

Russel,

We have advertised in the local papers, shoppers guides, whatever you may call them ? we did this in our metro area papers. We never got a single call ? but we did not expect to. We ran ads for exposure and awareness (I won?t expound on this ? there are many good marketing books out there that cover this in detail). People know who we are and that we are out there, which was the point of our running the ads. We talk to people all the time who say the have seen our ad in the paper? they are not our customers?now ? but someday they may be, or someone they know?. ? the key is that they know who we are. Without that ad campaign we would still be invisible.

On another note - we live near a small rural town that is outside our greater metro area. They have a small paper that we advertise in every week. When we started to run ads they did a big write up in the paper for us ? while this did not bring in the business in droves it did increase awareness about 1000%. Everybody knows who we are and what we do?.and out here everybody knows everybody. Have received 3 inspections directly as a result of the article.

Marketing mileage will vary depending on your location and needs.

Greg's mention of Guerilla Marketing by Jay Levinson - excellent advice - excellent book.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: tfoster

Marc is right you won’t get many calls. I do market in home books with a picture of myself in a suit and tie. I also tell about my company and who I am. I do this for the exposure and to get my name and face out there. If your just starting out like myself this can be good for you companies growth.

Greg, who's the Author of Guerilla Marketing. I would like to get it. Better yet is anyone out there wanting to sell theirs.

Originally Posted By: gbell

The book is written by Jay Levinson. It is about $14.00. Not a lot for such great info.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Timothy,

I was just looking at this book and others from the same author. I just ordered a few books from the following site…

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0395906253/102-7200026-5564968?v=glance

Good luck ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jhorton

On a some what related line. Why do the giants like Coke and Pepsi advertise on the big dollar shows? Like the Super Bowl, I think its a million for a 30 second spot. To be seen. Plain and simple. Keeping their name in front of you.

I have not done as good at this type of marketing as I would like but I am trying. I created a company logo several years ago.

![](upload://dw7uwaFJ0jbjo3hpLgP21rURdz9.gif)

I use this or variations of it on everything I print of do. I put a camper shell on my truck and put this on it really large. I had 6 color T-shirts made and wear them with Khaki's as a uniform. All my stationary has Sherlock on there.

I started doing a newsletter with Real Estate Stats each quarter that I send to the all the Realtors and will soon include the Mortgage Co.'s (I am a Real Estate Appraiser too).

My idea is that they know my trademark when they don't know my name. So I run the smallest yellow page ad I can with my logo in it. So I am easy to recognize.

My next step is to start running ads in my local Real Estate Book. They print a nice full color book and all the Real Estate Co. advertise in it. So I want to be there with my logo in place. Again, just so that they know me when the need me

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Thank you all for the suggestions on marketing I am checking out the book now, and Being out there for everyone to see is my main purpose for the type of advertising I am going to be doing. If I get a few Inspections directly related to the ad that is great. There are only about 8 Inspectors in this area where I live and I don’t believe it will be hard for me to dominate because honestly the only place I have ever seen any advertise is one guy that advertises in the Real Estate Magazine. The other are only in the phone book. Funny thing is out of the 8 or so around here when I was doing my price research I only got to talk to 3 rest are answering machines.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

by Erica Levy Klein if you want it.

Email me your shipping address and I'll send it to you to borrow.

nick.gromicko@nachi.org

Thank you Nick the email is on the way I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Got your email. I’ll ship it Monday. Nick