Advertising Suggestions

Originally Posted By: arthur watson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey guys - 1st time poster-

What’s the BEST form of advertising you guys have found?

FYI-

1)Read advertising thread from a few months ago yesterday - very helpfull, just wanted some more info. Have printed 1000 3 fold color flyers and passed them out over the last two weeks and have rec’d nothing. Offered several top agents free inspections and rec’d nothing…so, what’s next?

2)Someone will say join nachi - That is next on my list!

thanks guys!!

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Arthur,

Patience and persistence is what will gain you what you so much disire.

I do believe that giving away free inspection can be a two sided coin. While you may be trying to demonstrate your knowledge, experience and ability as a good home inspector it can also convey you are desperate to your audience. You should be careful of how you pursue this course since it may also convey that you are a "bad" home inspector since you can not get any work.

Good luck.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey Arthur

Joe's not steering you wrong. Free inspections really do not benefit an agent, makes a potential client skeptical about your abilities and most likely show's that you might be lacking confidence too.

You use a quality report and have a decent web-site. Now the hardest thing you have to do is to sell yourself, your ability as an inspector and your company.

You may want to try giving out a limited amount of discount coupons as an introductoy offer to the agents. If you do make sure you insert a disclaimer for the agent. Keep the amount small and limit the time.

BTW Welcome aboard

Im sure more replies will follow

Paul

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: tgardner

When I was starting, I did give away - maybe - 10 inspections. the reasons were two fold.

1. I needed sample reports to show how I report.

2. I needed experience.

advice: Give away only "listing inspections".

Join the local Realtors association

Join the local Chamber of Commerce

tg

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Arthur,

I have about 50 real estate offices in my area. I have been open for about 6 months, and steady business is just beginning. I started an HI business 8 years ago in a different state and it was the same way. I have brochures in each office, and I go to each office at least every two weeks with flyers. I have made several different flyers so that they get a chance to be read.

When marketing, remember the rule of sevens. It takes about 7 times for someone to recognize your material, another seven times to remember your name, and another seven times to put it all together. So if it takes about 21 visits and flyers, that wold be 42 weeks if visiting bi-weekly. I carry a couple of sample reports with me, and a gift for any Realtor that talks to me, usually a large candy bar or microwave popcorn with my card on it. Food works, Realtors always like things that begin with F (Free, Food).

Just be persistent

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Quote:
Repetition and hard work in your marketing is the key.

There is no easy way to making it in this business.

Well raise my rent, for all this time I thought that it was because I didn't have the right badge do-hickey thingy on my marketing material.

You mean to tell me those guys in that other organization ain't smokin' fancy Cuban cigars and sipping from long-tall glasses with wine up to yar? Story is their workin' car is a Cadillac Escalade, they have gold plated flashlights and only work three days a week.

Say it ain't so , Joe, say it ain't so.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Arthur,

Another way to market yourself is through email. It may not get you work directly but it puts your name in front of realtors. Here in San Antonio there are about 5000 agents and growing monthly. It takes a lot of work and time to hit even half of them with flyers. So I send out a weekly email with my info, NACHI info and I put a Tip of the Week in there to keep it fresh. In two months I've only had one agent ask me to take them off of the mailing list. I have had numerous replies stating that they like my emails. Now when I go into an office to give my little marketing speech I get "Hey, your the email guy". It seems to working for me.

I go to the agency websites and copy the email addresses of the individual agents. I have about 2000 on my list so far. I give it about 4 hours week to create the email and maintain the list.![](upload://z57trb8Y9p0jhiP900r32trqgPg.gif)

Just my two cents.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

If you or anyone else is looking to do inspections for the experience before you actually perform any, try your friends, neighbors and family. They are a great source of low cost inspections and the you don’t have to worry about screwing them up, after all, you know them. You can use the guise that you are helping them upkeep their home and when you are done, send the report into NACHI so they can help make you a better inspector. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Thanks a bunch!!

I really, sincerely mean that.

I've taken all of your suggestions and have jotted them down on my yellow pad.

Patrick, I'm glad the email system has worked. I'm going to get started on this right away. (After I eat a little crow - my wife suggested it 1st and I thought it would turn people off!). If you could, please put me on your mailing list - spence@lexhomeinspections.com. I promise not to copy your tips, I just want to see what you are shipping out.

Another marketing question - Someone I know suggested marketing to real estate attorneys. Has anyone ever got any response from any one other than an agent?

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Arthur,

Glad I could help. I typically send the email out on Sunday or Monday so look for it then. I'll send you this weeks email right now.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Think the NACHI callendar has pushed me into the gotta get the membership now. Didn’t want to because I’ve abused my discover so bad lately…anyway 2 or 3 more:

1)How do I distribute the mousepads? That's fabulous advertisement. Can I put a tag in my flyer? Can I order 10 or so to give to agents I've been talking to? Just don't understand how this works.

..can't remember other questions..will poke the brain agian in the morning.