Getting Business

Originally Posted By: rkuntz
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As a new inspector, I am faced with the prospects of marketing to get new business. I have focused on the RE agents, doing presentations, going to open houses, attending board of realtor meetings and sending out post cards and intro. letters. I would like to get any feedback and suggestions on getting more business. Also I would like to know what it was like for others getting started. How many inspections did you do during your first months and first year.

As for me, I covered expenses in my second month. Meaning I paid all the bills but not me. Although it looks like things have slowed down recently. Should I expect things to be slow now and pick up in he spring?

I ask a lot of questions here, but would like to get this discussion going.

Thanks

Ronk

Originally Posted By: qualitycheck

good luck ronk,

i have had my business listed in the yellow pages,but onl;y get about 10% of my business from there. i find that most business comes from a good brochure detailing your business and experience. you may have to push a little to get realtors to make them available though. their first queation is usually “are you a member of ashi?” . that is where the selling has to begin

Originally Posted By: jmyers

No matter what you do, ashi or not, you have to prove to them you are a knowledgable home inspector first. If you are looking for work from the “old timers” you may want to consider ashi but it is not necessary. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING will help you more than going to real estate offices and making some friends over aome DUNKIN DONUTS. Food always hits the spot with realtors.

Joe Myers

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: Ben Gromicko

Ronk, you answers are already written for you in detail at www.NACHI.org - new business tips. Home page link.

Yellow page ads are terrible - lots of $, and your clients are not reading the yellow pages.

If your clients are agents, what are your agents reading.

If your clients are buyers, what are your buyers reading.

Neither one is reading a yellow page ad.

Ronk - fill out your profile - who are you, where are you from?

Joe - Now that winter has arrived, we can now keep donuts in our winter coat pockets, and when we're up in the dark attic... Chomp. A quick donut break. Right?
;)

--
Benjamin John Gromicko
Vice-President,
PEACH Inspections
NACHI & ASHI Member

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ben,

You answered the question with two more questions.

Here, have a donut! O O O O

Joe Myers

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: jremas

deleted

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

One suggestion I would make is to create a website, and then run an ad campaign on google. Google will let you run a small ad on the side of their seaches, and you pay only per-click. You can run the ad specifically so that when people search for “Your Location, Your State Inspector” or “Your Location, Your State Inspectors” you ad pops up, but no other time. A lot of people are using google nowadays to search for just about everything. If you go this route, you’re going to want a nice webpage that stands out, so put some time into it, whether you’re designing your own, or getting someone else to do it for you.

Chris Morrell

Director of Information Technology

http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://8YWn3XzRVDU06Go0P7pjl9c12xX.html)

Originally Posted By: rwills

I agree with Chris on the website issue. With money tight to start out I searched for the cheapest yet best ways to advertise. I signed up with Cnet Quick sitebuilder for about $80 the first year. You can build your own site and add to or change it daily if you want to. Another $20 to purchase a domain name, sign up with as many search engines as you can and also there is a ton of places you can get free listings with such as online yellow pages. Most of my hits are from the internet and very few so far from my yellow page listing, which by the way cost more than my whole website setup!. It takes a little time to get a site up and running but if times are slow at least your pushing forward for future business…Bob

Originally Posted By: jremas

There are some RE Agencies out there that will add you to a list of inspectors that they give to clients. In order to get on this list in my area, you have to furnish them with a copy of your NACHI certificate and E&O insurance. These lists have anywhere from 10-15 other inspectors on it. Not all agencies do this, some don’t want to have anything to do with your information. If you can get on this list, you will get business or at least some phone calls. I have noticed more business coming from these agencies since getting on the list. It is worth the time & effort to stop there and offer your information. If you want to market yourself, you have to be very pro-active.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi guys

I have found that joining the local board of Realtors as an affiliate member

generates alot of jobs.

You are seeing the same 100-150 realtors at least once a month and

having them see your face, they start to think of you when giving out

names.

Carla