Advice please

Originally Posted By: gmagee
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1010057_Medium.JPG ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1010192_Medium.JPG ]

Thanks, Greg

Originally Posted By: mkober

Greg,

Section M1409 of the 2003 IRC says "Vented wall furnaces shall not be located where a door can swing within 12 inches of the furnace air inlet or outlet . . ." While the IRC is obviously referring to a passage door, a narrow interpretation of same could also apply to electric meter/panel access doors, in which case your scenario would be in violation. If this were my inspection, I'd contact Temco directly for their recommendation in addition to contacting the power company with a "heads-up" that their meter glass/innards are slowly being cooked by the vent. A call to the local code-enforcement people would also be a good idea.

--
Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

Michael,

I didn’t know the code for this - thought there might be an NEC stipulation.

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

I would also think the utility company would have a problem with the wood enclosure. Unless of course they are private meters. How can the utility verify that the seal on the meter has not been tampered with. Especially the second meter from the left but the others also. There is a padlock bracket mounted on the door. A lock can easily be added.

It looks like its been this way for some time. I'm surprised the utility hasn't said anything. In my area it would have been flagged the first time they read the meter

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: mcyr

Greg,

This place ain't big enough for the two of us. ha. ha.
I would strongly recommend someone check into NFPA 54 and also with the manufacture of the unit for legal venting. The NEC might have something relevant to this situation also.

Thanks for the replies,

A county building official didn’t have a concern with this and deferred to the utility company. The utility company rep said “no problem” unless the meter involved had been the gas meter. Of course it was not the gas meter involved here.