Agents says the HVAC guy told her this was to code

Gotta love it

151 SE 5 CT Pompano(Tetrault) 008.jpg

Y’ know what I think?

I think that agent was trying to spoof you.

That’s what I think.:wink:

What is that thing???

You took the words out of my mouth.

I’m not sure what we’re looking at here. Possibly a consenser fan motor that was changed, and the splice is in free air there, taped up in a big wad? Not sure.

I think he meant A/C is code mandated in Florida???

It is a replaced fan motor with the wires taped

Can not tell from the pic but If I was guessing would say beneath that mess of tape you would find not a splice but a rubber boot for rotation change. Most contractors do not use OEM parts unless no other choice. Universal condenser fan motors most usually have the two wires and rubber boot for this. The boot should have been strapped to the bracing of the motor to keep it out of the blades within the housing not external. I always used electrical wire ties to fasten the boot not electrical tape because tape will unravel due to moisture.

Let me ask a question here while we are looking at the condenser fan. How can you determine which direction a fan blade is suppose to rotate while observing it in the idle state. There is a hard fast rule with no exceptions:D This rule applies to both types of fans, Blade or squirrel cage
</IMG>

Face the fan blade. Now, observe the direction that the blades are “twisted” relative to the shaft. If the blades are pitched clockwise relative to the shaft when you’re facing the outlet end of the fan, then the fan should spin clockwise. If the blades are twisted counter-clockwise, then it should spin counter-clockwise.

This fan blade is to spin clockwise facing the discharge:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-65132300408767_1986_26368157

and this fan blade is to spin counter-clockwise facing the discharge:

http://www.grainger.com/images/products/enlarged/XL-2C953.JPG

Note also that if the blade itself has any “curve” or “dish” in it, the concave side is the discharge side. The images both show the discharge side up in the pictures.

I guess I’ll have to make an appointment to get me some new glasses. :margarit:

Another way of saying the same thing as Marc is to look at the high side of the blade…if it’s on the left then the blade must spin clockwise to push air up; if it’s on the right then it spins counter-clockwise. Even another way of saying this is if when looking at a spinning fan blade then the trailing edge of the blade indicates the direction of airflow.

Very true and still another way to say the same thing is to think of the cutting edge of the blade as the rotation. Still amazes me that I find the wrong rotation occasionally.

To get back to the original ball of tape I don’t think you will find poor quality workmanship addressed in any code book. I personally would have handled that issue just as a safety issue and been done with it.