Anyone Care to Guess?

There pictures you posted with this comment. Are they in the attic? Next question, is this area the only place where these stickers are? Is the attic accessible? Do they have a monitor on them?

If any of these answers are negative, I am not sure if I would live here. Also I am not sure if I would want to be the one to inspect these. The notice in the attic, where one would see it.
Even if you did not miss anything but one day you wake up and on the news here is this house. Blown apart. Not sure if I want to live with that one.

Rick

My guess is they vent methane.:slight_smile:

Visited Washington last fall. Sure I saw those same vents sticking out of some large buildings there.

The PVC vents were in the attic, vented up from the slab at several locations. Accessible but not monitored.

Interesting pics. Re-development of municipal (and other) waste disposal sites is not a new idea; many recreational and commercial facilities have been constructed on formerly active and now capped and reclaimed waste sites. Re-dev. for residential subdivisions is a bit less common. In either case, any sizable landfill’s going to produce, among other things, a significant quantity of methane gas for many centuries to come.

http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/leacentral/LandfillGas/CaseStudies/SanQuentin/

They also use this system when they build on old oil fields.

You should see the system they put below the foundation. I have worked on a couple of these types of projects.

I’m on board with the methane / landfill theory. Also perhaps and oil/gas tank removal. Thing is, I’m used to seeing these in PVC

Jeff,

How much do this methane gas traps, i mean homes run?

Some real marketing challenges here. “Be the first to live on the LAX landfill.”
Maybe they could pipe the methane in for water heater and HVAC.

Starting at $675K for 1800 sq. ft. and up to $790K for the 2100 sq. ft model (tri-level). Zero-lot-line, gated community (which equates to association dues).

They also use them in my area for the old dairy farms. Too much methane from what’s left of the cows…

To bad they don’t burn it off. Methane is a greenhouse gas. What a waste of needed energy.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

My guess is a vault vent for underground utilities, but that’s just a guess.

Especially in a state that is suppose to be so “green” and has so many energy issues. House on a garbage dump…where do I line up to buy one?:shock:

Lots of golf courses on dumps also…don’t like your balls. :wink:

Could they be venting the basement and slabs for Radon? ? ?
Frank

That would be a great place to live!

You could take the kids treasure hunting in the back yard any day of the week! :mrgreen:

I don’t ‘like’ them either Tony, and I certainly wouldn’t lick them.:shock: